• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Puzzling friction question

• Thread starter jshaner858
  • Start date
If the coefficient of kinetic friction of a box is 0.23, how would you find out how far the box would travel with an initial push of 4.2 m/s? Assume the "push" has already happened.

Answers and Replies

it's a different problem...that's all the info i've been given...i don't know how the speed factors in to the problem...i don't know the object's weight or anything else

did you read the solution, theres no mass involved.

"A box is given a push so that it slides across the floor. How far will it go given that the coefficient of kinetic friction is .20 and the push imparts an initial speed of 4.0 m/s?"

go back and actually read it. this problem is identical to yours. Then tell me where your getting stuck, if you do get stuck.

the answer to the problem you wrote is actually 4.1 meters but i don't know how that answer was reached

read the solution i posted! lol, dont sweat it will work it out together, just tell me if you have learned energy methods yet or not, so I will know which approach is appropriate.

and how did you happen to change the numbers around so that they were identical to a problem in my textbook???

which method do you want to use jshaner?

thanks...i'm sorry i didn't see the link that you put up there...thanks so much...i was able to get the answer, but those equations are a little beyond where we're at right now...thanks again.

well, they are really quite simple, as long as you know basic calculus. and its very straight forward, we can go over them if you would like.