1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Puzzling friction question

1. Sep 24, 2005 #1
    If the coefficient of kinetic friction of a box is 0.23, how would you find out how far the box would travel with an initial push of 4.2 m/s? Assume the "push" has already happened.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2005 #2
  4. Sep 24, 2005 #3
    it's a different problem...that's all the info i've been given...i don't know how the speed factors in to the problem...i don't know the object's weight or anything else
  5. Sep 24, 2005 #4
    did you read the solution, theres no mass involved.

"A box is given a push so that it slides across the floor. How far will it go given that the coefficient of kinetic friction is .20 and the push imparts an initial speed of 4.0 m/s?"

go back and actually read it. this problem is identical to yours. Then tell me where your getting stuck, if you do get stuck.
  6. Sep 24, 2005 #5
    the answer to the problem you wrote is actually 4.1 meters but i don't know how that answer was reached
  7. Sep 24, 2005 #6
    read the solution i posted! lol, dont sweat it will work it out together, just tell me if you have learned energy methods yet or not, so I will know which approach is appropriate.
  8. Sep 24, 2005 #7
    and how did you happen to change the numbers around so that they were identical to a problem in my textbook???
  9. Sep 24, 2005 #8
    which method do you want to use jshaner?
  10. Sep 24, 2005 #9
    thanks...i'm sorry i didn't see the link that you put up there...thanks so much...i was able to get the answer, but those equations are a little beyond where we're at right now...thanks again.
  11. Sep 24, 2005 #10
    well, they are really quite simple, as long as you know basic calculus. and its very straight forward, we can go over them if you would like.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?