1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Puzzling paradox

1. Oct 25, 2004 #1
    Hi I am having a bit of difficulty working with plane polar co-ordinates.
    We have:
    [tex] r^2 = x^2 + z^2 [/tex]
    [tex] x = r cos \theta [/tex]
    [tex] z=r sin \theta [/tex]
    I wish to find [tex] \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} [/tex]

Using [tex] r^2 = x^2 + z^2 [/tex]
    We have:

[tex] \frac {\partial (r^2)} {\partial x} = \frac {\partial (x^2)} {\partial x} + \frac {\partial (z^2)} {\partial x} [/tex]
    Thus [tex] 2r\frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = 2x [/tex]
    [tex] \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = \frac {x} {r} = \frac {r cos \theta} {r} [/tex]
    Therefore [tex]\frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = cos \theta [/tex]

But if we find [tex] \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} [/tex] using [tex] x = r cos \theta [/tex]
    We have:
    [tex] r = \frac {x} {cos \theta} [/tex]
    Therefore [tex]\frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = \frac {1} {cos \theta} [/tex]

What is going on here? Which answer is wrong and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ooops! In your last step you [itex]\theta[/itex] is NOT a constant! You need to differentiate it wrt x as well.

4. Oct 25, 2004 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi, when you differentiated with respect to x here, you treated [tex]\theta[/tex] as a constant. It's not, it's dependant on x, so you have to use the quotient rule and you'll have a [tex]\frac {\partial \theta} {\partial x}[/tex] appear via the chain rule. Use [tex]{\cos \theta}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+z^2}}[/tex] to work out [tex]\frac {\partial \theta} {\partial x}[/tex].

eidt-Tide was quicker on the draw!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  5. Oct 25, 2004 #4
    I'm not sure, but I think your mistake is in the following procedure:

[tex]r = \frac {x} {cos \theta} \rightarrow \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = \frac {1} {cos \theta} [/tex]

I believe that [tex] \theta [/tex] is dependent on [tex] x [/tex]. In other words [tex] \theta = \theta (x)[/tex] so you can't just treat [tex] cos \theta[/tex] as a constant when taking the derivative with respect to [tex] x [/tex].

6. Oct 25, 2004 #5
    Whoops! I guess I'm pretty late on that one!

This is the first time I used the equation formatting and it took me a while to format the post. (ha ha)

At least, I know now that I was on the right track. :smile:

7. Oct 25, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Way to go, NS!!

8. Oct 25, 2004 #7
    Thanks for your help guys!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?