PV battery potential.... coming up with experiment

In summary: Interesting. It could be either, I guess. Do you have technical help with figuring out the chemistry that is going on?This is not enough info to establish if it the observed phenomena is indeed stored charges in an electric field (capacitance) or a simple "fluke". As you stated you need tests to establish that, one good way to go about it is to have a cycler. It would also help if we know what your electrodes are.
hdp12
Hello there everybody
In my research group we've been working on PV cells and exploring non-conventional techniques to try and raise the efficiency of some of the lesser explored materials that have PV potential.
Well, last week while testing one of our cells in a solar simulator, we noticed that after we turned the light off, instead of flatlining to zero electrons released, it instead seemed to exponentially decay... as a charged battery would...
This was extremely exciting and we've decided to follow up this phenomenon with a series of testing to try and narrow down the exact elements and compounds causing this.

I was posting to ask people if they had any ideas how to test a cells battery capabilities. We've talked about it amongst ourselves and haven't come up with anything other than the solar simulator and the cell connected to a voltmeter, same procedure as testing a normal PV cell. I was hoping somebody might have another idea that was really targeted at the battery aspect of it.

Hope to hear from someone :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
hdp12 said:
Hello there everybody
In my research group we've been working on PV cells and exploring non-conventional techniques to try and raise the efficiency of some of the lesser explored materials that have PV potential.
Well, last week while testing one of our cells in a solar simulator, we noticed that after we turned the light off, instead of flatlining to zero electrons released, it instead seemed to exponentially decay... as a charged battery would...
This was extremely exciting and we've decided to follow up this phenomenon with a series of testing to try and narrow down the exact elements and compounds causing this.

I was posting to ask people if they had any ideas how to test a cells battery capabilities. We've talked about it amongst ourselves and haven't come up with anything other than the solar simulator and the cell connected to a voltmeter, same procedure as testing a normal PV cell. I was hoping somebody might have another idea that was really targeted at the battery aspect of it.

Hope to hear from someone :)
Maybe it just had a high capacitance. What was the load? Have you measured the capacitance of the cell?

berkeman said:
Maybe it just had a high capacitance. What was the load? Have you measured the capacitance of the cell?
It may appear as capacitance but I'm pretty sure that a capacitor does not create it's own electricity... this has an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte. When photons hit it, it releases electrons and those are being stored somewhere. Maybe it acts like a capacitor but as an entire unit, it's technically more of a battery. Don't you think?

hdp12 said:
It may appear as capacitance but I'm pretty sure that a capacitor does not create it's own electricity... this has an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte. When photons hit it, it releases electrons and those are being stored somewhere. Maybe it acts like a capacitor but as an entire unit, it's technically more of a battery. Don't you think?
Interesting. It could be either, I guess. Do you have technical help with figuring out the chemistry that is going on?

This is not enough info to establish if it the observed phenomena is indeed stored charges in an electric field (capacitance) or a simple "fluke". As you stated you need tests to establish that, one good way to go about it is to have a cycler. It would also help if we know what your electrodes are.
There is a test that I ran a while ago, which would shine a light for 30 secs, turn it off for 30 seconds and turn it on again and so on for many cycles. All the while the cycler would monitor the cell's capacity and voltage and spits out voltage discharge profiles. This would be very helpful in your case, since "odd" behaviors tend to correct themselves after the first ten cycles or so. Keep in mind that all other elements need to be fixed: I.e. strictly adhere to a known, fixed testing environment vis a vis pressure, humidity and temperature and be absolutely certain that no other light source besides the charging one is visible by your cell.
One you've established that the phenomenon you've observed is reproducible, then try varying the intensity of the light, and so one, however you do need a solid baseline for any test that you run.

1. What is PV battery potential?

PV battery potential refers to the ability of a photovoltaic (PV) battery system to store and release electrical energy generated by a PV panel. It is a measure of the maximum energy that can be stored in the battery and used for later consumption.

2. How can I determine the PV battery potential for my system?

The PV battery potential can be determined through experimentation and testing. This involves connecting a PV panel to a battery and measuring the amount of energy that can be stored and released. The potential can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the battery's capacity and the PV panel's output.

3. What factors affect PV battery potential?

There are several factors that can affect the PV battery potential, including the size and type of battery, the capacity of the battery, the efficiency of the PV panel, and external influences such as temperature and shading. The design and placement of the PV system can also have an impact on the potential.

4. How can I increase the PV battery potential?

There are a few ways to increase the PV battery potential. One option is to use a larger battery with a higher capacity. Another option is to optimize the PV panel's efficiency by keeping it clean and free of obstructions. Additionally, using a battery management system can help improve the potential by regulating the charging and discharging of the battery.

5. What are some potential experiments I can conduct to test PV battery potential?

One experiment could involve testing the potential of different types of batteries (e.g. lead-acid, lithium-ion) connected to the same PV panel. Another experiment could involve changing the capacity of the battery and measuring its effect on the potential. Additionally, you could test the potential under different environmental conditions, such as varying levels of sunlight or temperature.