1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PV diagram full circle cycle help

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm given a PV diagram, it goes from A, B, C, D, in a full circle, counter-clock wise. A is at the top, and is at 30 Pa and 25 m^3 for volume. B is at 20 Pa and 15 m^3. C is at 10 Pa and 25 m^3, and D is at 20 Pa and 35 m^3 (It goes in a full circle with A and C having the same volume, and B and D having the same pressure) Sorry I can't post a real picture of it. The question now asks:

Calculate:

A) The total internal energy in a full cycle from A-->B-->C-->D-->A

B) The total work done on or by the system in a full cycle from A-->B-->C-->D-->A.

C) The total heat flow in a full cycle from A-->B-->C-->D-->A

D) The work done on or by the system from A-->B-->C

2. Relevant equations

PV=nRT
    (delta)U = Q - W

3. The attempt at a solution

I've thought about A, and see that in a full cycle the total change in internal energy would be 0, however I don't think that it's asking for the total change, just the total. Also for B, C, and D I'm having trouble trying to find the right equation, as I can't determine if this cycle would be isobaric, isochoric, isothermal, or adiabatic. Please help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted