Is the PV diagram in this quasi-static cycle correct?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about a PV diagram. The initial statement mentions an isothermal expansion where the pressure does not change. The person is confused because in an isothermal expansion, there should be no work done on the system. However, the problem states that the gas is heated and the pressure increases to 2.00atm, which contradicts the idea that the pressure does not change. The second speaker questions how the problem could be interpreted to mean that the pressure stays at 2 atm.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys can someone tell me if I am wrong, or missing reading this question.

upload_2017-6-7_23-51-50.png

For part a I need to draw a PV diagram now it states that is is being expand isothermally yet when I look at the pressure it dose not change, which is confusing me beacuse it dose in a isothermal expasion other there will be no work done on the system, in the next part it say the gas is heated to a temp and the pressure increase to 2.00atm which mean it has not change at all, so it this a typo in the question or have I missed read it completely

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys can someone tell me if I am wrong, or missing reading this question.

View attachment 205055

For part a I need to draw a PV diagram now it states that is is being expand isothermally yet when I look at the pressure it dose not change, which is confusing me beacuse it dose in a isothermal expasion other there will be no work done on the system, in the next part it say the gas is heated to a temp and the pressure increase to 2.00atm which mean it has not change at all, so it this a typo in the question or have I missed read it completely

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Who says the pressure doesn't change during the isothermal expansion of an ideal gas? What does the ideal gas law tell you?

Sorry I am not implying the pressure dose not change I think it dose, but the question is telling me it starts with an intial pressure of 2.00at and then increases to 2.00atm this is my confusion.

Taylor_1989 said:
Sorry I am not implying the pressure dose not change I think it dose, but the question is telling me it starts with an intial pressure of 2.00at and then increases to 2.00atm this is my confusion.
I don't see how you can possibly interpret the problem statement that way. How did you arrive at the result that pressure stays at 2 atm?

What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure (P) and volume (V) of a gas or fluid. The x-axis represents volume and the y-axis represents pressure.

What is a quasi-static cycle on a PV diagram?

A quasi-static cycle, also known as a reversible cycle, is a process in which a system undergoes a series of small changes in equilibrium. This means that the system remains in thermal, mechanical, and chemical equilibrium throughout the process, resulting in a smooth curve on the PV diagram.

How is work calculated on a PV diagram?

Work on a PV diagram is represented by the area under the curve. This can be calculated by multiplying the pressure and volume at each point on the curve, and then integrating the resulting values over the entire curve.

What is the purpose of a PV diagram in thermodynamics?

PV diagrams are used to visually represent the thermodynamic processes of a gas or fluid. They allow us to analyze and understand the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of a system, as well as calculate important parameters such as work, heat, and efficiency.

What is the difference between a PV diagram and a T-S diagram?

A PV diagram plots pressure against volume, while a T-S diagram plots temperature against entropy. PV diagrams are used for analyzing processes involving changes in volume, while T-S diagrams are used for analyzing processes involving changes in temperature. Both diagrams provide valuable insights into the thermodynamic behavior of a system.