Exploring Internal Energy, Heat and Work Relationships

F, the conversation is discussing the relationship between internal energy, heat, and work in an ideal gas. The summary is that work is considered positive if the system does work on the environment, and the formula for calculating heat is Q=\Delta U +W. The speaker is also discussing how to determine if a process is positive, negative, or neutral.
Punkyc7
Can some one check my work, I'm not sure if I am understanding how internal energy heat and work are related.

Work is defined to be positive if the system does work on the environment.

Q=[itex]\Delta U[/itex] +W

I am showing if the process is positive, negative or 0.

Also this is suppose to be an ideal gas

Attachments

• CyclicProcces.jpg
    CyclicProcces.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Punkyc7 said:
Can some one check my work, I'm not sure if I am understanding how internal energy heat and work are related.

Work is defined to be positive if the system does work on the environment.

Q=[itex]\Delta U[/itex] +W

I am showing if the process is positive, negative or 0.

Also this is suppose to be an ideal gas
Your answers are correct. What kind of a cycle is it?

AM

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, including the kinetic and potential energies of its particles. It is a measure of the system's microscopic energy, and is related to the temperature and state of the system.

2. How does heat affect internal energy?

Heat is a form of energy that can be transferred between systems. When heat is added to a system, the internal energy increases, causing the temperature of the system to rise. This is because the heat energy is absorbed by the particles within the system, increasing their kinetic energy and, therefore, the total internal energy of the system.

3. What is the relationship between internal energy and work?

Work is also a form of energy, but it is typically associated with macroscopic changes, such as movement or changes in pressure. When work is done on a system, the internal energy can increase or decrease, depending on the type of work and the system. For example, compressing a gas does work on the system, causing an increase in internal energy, while expanding a gas does work on the surroundings, resulting in a decrease in internal energy.

4. How is internal energy measured?

Internal energy cannot be directly measured, but it can be calculated by measuring the changes in temperature, pressure, and volume of a system. The internal energy of a system can also be determined through the use of equations, such as the first law of thermodynamics.

5. What are some real-world applications of internal energy, heat, and work relationships?

Understanding these relationships is crucial in many fields, including thermodynamics, engineering, and chemistry. It is used to study and design efficient energy systems, such as power plants and engines, and to understand the behavior of materials under different conditions, such as in chemical reactions or phase changes. It also has practical applications in everyday life, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and transportation.