PV Diagrams- Thermodynamics

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder with a piston containing 0.250 mol of oxygen at 2.40 x 105 Pa and 355 K. The oxygen expands isobarically to twice its original volume, then is compressed isothermally to its original volume, and finally cooled isochorically to its original pressure. The temperature during the isothermal compression is 710K, the maximum pressure is 4.80 x 105 Pa, and the total work done by the piston is -285J. The direction of heat flow and absolute value of total heat flow in or out of the gas for this sequence of processes can be found by calculating the change in internal energy for each process using the first law.
racky tak

Homework Statement

A cylinder with a piston contains 0.250 mol of oxygen at 2.40  105 Pa and 355 K. The oxygen may be treated as an ideal gas. The gas first expands isobarically to twice its original volume. It is then compressed isothermally to its original volume, and then it is cooled isochorically to its original pressure.(a) Show the series of processes on a pV – diagram. (b) Compute the temperature during the isothermal compression. (c) Compute the maximum pressure. (d) Compute the total work done by the piston on the gas. (e) Find the absolute value of the total heat flow into or out of the gas for this sequence of processes, and state the direction of heat flow.

I just don't know where to go with part e- i think I'm confused on that part, oever, the other sections a through d i think i got here is my attempt at a solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The pV-diagram I figured out this part.
Temperature Ta = 355K,
Pa = Pb = 2.40 x 105Pa,
andnumber of moles, n = 0.250mol.
∴Volumeat state a,
= 3.074 x 10-3m3.
(b)
Volume in state b ,Vb = 2Va
= 6.149 x 10-3m3.
Let Tb is the temperature at point b.
Since Pa = Pb and Vb = 2Va, then Tb = 2Ta = 710K.

(c) The maximum pressure Pc is at point c.
At point c, the volume is Va, and the temperature is Tb.
∴Pressurein state c,
= 4.80 x 105Pa.
(d)
Total work done by the piston on the gas during the series of processes,
Wab = Pa(Vb - Va)
= (2.40 x 105Pa)(3.074 x 10-3m3)
= 737.867J.
=
= (0.250mol)(8.314J/mol K)(710K)(-ln2)
= -1022.9J.
The total work done is W = Wab + Wbc = -285J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer for the work has the wrong sign. You calculated the work done by the gas on the piston, but the problem asked you for the work done on the gas by the piston.

For part e, you need to use the first law. You already calculated the work for each process. If you can figure out the change in internal energy of the gas for each process, you can find the heat transferred.

What is a PV diagram and how is it used in thermodynamics?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure (P) and volume (V) for a given system. It is used in thermodynamics to analyze and understand the changes in pressure and volume during different processes, such as heating or cooling.

What is the significance of the shape of a PV diagram?

The shape of a PV diagram can provide valuable information about the thermodynamic processes taking place. For example, a horizontal line indicates a constant volume process, while a vertical line indicates a constant pressure process. The area under the curve represents the work done by or on the system.

How can PV diagrams be used to determine the efficiency of a thermodynamic system?

PV diagrams can be used to calculate the efficiency of a thermodynamic system by comparing the work done by the system to the total energy input. The efficiency of a system is determined by the ratio of the useful work output to the total energy input.

What is the difference between an ideal and a real PV diagram?

An ideal PV diagram assumes that the system undergoes a reversible process, meaning that the system is always in equilibrium and no energy is lost. In reality, most processes are not reversible, resulting in a non-ideal PV diagram with a less efficient system.

How do PV diagrams relate to the first and second laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. PV diagrams show the changes in energy (work) and heat for a given system. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. PV diagrams can also show the changes in entropy during a process, providing insight into the efficiency of the system.