Drawing a PV Diagram for 3 Processes: Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of drawing a PV diagram for a physics exam, specifically for isothermal expansion, isobaric compression, and adiabatic compression. The recommended steps for drawing the diagram include formulating equations and referencing standard mathematical equations or using a Google image search for inspiration.
Abidal
Hello everyone,
I was asked in a physics exam to draw a pv digram that consists of 3 process as below:
1) isothermal expansion
2)Isobaric compression
3)Adiabatic compression

whenever I try to draw it I come up with a really untidy diagram so can anyone help please !

Physics news on Phys.org
To draw any diagram in physics:
1.Formulate the equations that relate the variables, which will eventually be your co-ordinate axes (i mean Pressure and Volume in this case)
2. Then try to relate the equation obtained with any standard mathematical equation whose graph is know.
3. If you don't find any standard mathematical equation whose graph is know to you, there are certain steps to be followed to draw a rough sketch of the graph.

Do a google images search on "PV diagram". Browse, pick a format that you like. More importantly, pick a format that your instructor will like!

1. How do I draw a PV diagram for 3 processes?

To draw a PV diagram for 3 processes, you will need to plot the pressure (P) on the y-axis and volume (V) on the x-axis. Then, you will need to plot the initial state of the system as a point on the graph. Next, you will need to plot the final state of the system after each process. Finally, connect the points to form a curve. Repeat this process for each process, making sure to label each curve and include any given values for pressure and volume.

2. What are the 3 processes in a PV diagram?

The 3 processes in a PV diagram are isothermal, adiabatic, and isobaric. An isothermal process is one where the temperature remains constant, an adiabatic process is one where there is no heat exchange with the surroundings, and an isobaric process is one where the pressure remains constant.

3. What is the significance of a PV diagram?

A PV diagram is a visual representation of the changes in pressure and volume of a system, which can help to understand the thermodynamic processes taking place. It can also be used to calculate work done, heat exchange, and efficiency.

4. How do I label a PV diagram?

To label a PV diagram, you will need to include the units for pressure (P) and volume (V) on the respective axes. You should also label each curve with the corresponding process (isothermal, adiabatic, or isobaric) and any given values for pressure and volume at the initial and final states.

5. Can I use a PV diagram for any system?

Yes, a PV diagram can be used for any system as long as the pressure and volume are the relevant variables for the processes taking place. It is commonly used in thermodynamics, but can also be applied to other fields such as chemistry and physics.