How Many Balloons Can a Helium Tank Fill?

• Thread starter Erik Horwath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helium Tank
In summary, assuming no gas is lost to the atmosphere and isothermal flow of molecules, a tank with a volume of .100 m^3 and containing helium gas at 150 atm can fill up approximately 26 balloons with a diameter of .300 m each at an absolute pressure of 1.2 atm. This is calculated using the equation PV = a constant and rounding the resulting value of "x" to the nearest integer.
Erik Horwath
A tank having a volume of .100 m^3 contains helium gas at 150 atm. How many ballons can the tank blow up if each filled balloon is a sphere of .300 m in diameter at an absolute pressure of 1.2 atm?

Here is what I have so far: Assuming no gas is lost to the atmosphere, n is constant. R is constant (8.314 J/mol K) by definition. The final volume of the gas must be a multiple of (4/3)pi(.3/2)^3. So

((150 atm)(1.013*10^5 Pa/atm)(.1 m^3))/T1=(x(4/3)(pi)(.15)^3(1.2))/T2

But this equation contains three variables x,T1,T2...please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume isothermal flow of molecules,then you only have "x" which you must round to the nearest integer.

Daniel.

Try using PV = a constant, rather than PV = nRT

1. How many balloons can a helium tank fill on average?

The number of balloons a helium tank can fill varies depending on the size of the tank and the size of the balloons. On average, a standard helium tank can fill around 30 to 50 balloons.

2. Can a helium tank fill more balloons if the balloons are smaller?

Yes, smaller balloons require less helium to fill, so a helium tank can fill more small balloons than larger ones.

3. How do I know how many balloons my specific helium tank can fill?

The number of balloons a helium tank can fill is usually listed on the tank itself or on the packaging. If not, you can estimate based on the size of the tank and the size of the balloons.

4. Can I refill a helium tank once it is empty?

No, most helium tanks are disposable and cannot be refilled. However, there are some companies that offer refill services for larger tanks.

5. How long will a helium tank last while filling balloons?

This depends on the size of the tank and the size of the balloons. A standard helium tank can last for about 2 to 3 hours while filling balloons.