PV real estate value spreadsheet.

• Thread starter feathermoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, there is a new spreadsheet available to help homeowners calculate the impact of solar panels on their real estate value. The lack of comparable properties with solar panels nearby may result in under or non-valuation during home sale. However, the speaker has recently installed solar panels and has already generated a significant amount of energy, which will eventually pay for itself in 60 years.
feathermoon
I tried to find an old thread to resurrect, since I remember one about a PFer having solar panels. Anyway, a new spreadsheet is out that you can use to calculate the impact solar panels will have on your real estate value. Traditionally, from what I've read, if there aren't many or any people who have panels nearby to compare to, yours could be under or not valued during home sale. So, good thing for anyone thinking about it.

http://energy.sandia.gov/?page_id=8047

Physics news on Phys.org
That's interesting; I'll look into it a bit later (Robotics season--busy).

My PVs were just switched on, finally, 3 weeks ago, and in less than a month for a rainy January, I've generated over 120 kWh! That's *calculating* almost $22 ! At this rate, it will pay for itself in *more calculating* 60 years!

...hoping for more sun soon...

1. What is a PV real estate value spreadsheet?

A PV (present value) real estate value spreadsheet is a tool used to calculate the current value of a property based on its expected future cash flows. It takes into account factors such as the property's rental income, expenses, and appreciation over time.

2. How is a PV real estate value spreadsheet different from other methods of valuing a property?

A PV real estate value spreadsheet differs from other methods, such as market comparables or income capitalization, because it considers the time value of money. It takes into account the fact that a dollar received in the future is worth less than a dollar received today due to inflation and the opportunity cost of not having that money available now.

3. What information is needed to create a PV real estate value spreadsheet?

To create a PV real estate value spreadsheet, you will need information such as the property's rental income, vacancy rate, operating expenses, estimated future property value, and the discount rate. You may also need to consider factors such as inflation, property tax rates, and potential changes in market conditions.

4. Can a PV real estate value spreadsheet be used for any type of property?

Yes, a PV real estate value spreadsheet can be used for any type of property, including residential, commercial, and industrial. However, the accuracy of the calculation may vary depending on the availability and accuracy of the data used.

5. How often should a PV real estate value spreadsheet be updated?

A PV real estate value spreadsheet should be updated regularly, especially if there are changes in the property's cash flows or market conditions. It is recommended to review and update the spreadsheet at least once a year, or more frequently if there are significant changes to the property's income or expenses.