PV/T system

Hello! I am a materials engineering BSc student currently writing my bachelor thesis. The topic of my thesis is regarding the PV/T system and the best material choice for the interface between the glass/glass PV module and the heat mat. I would appreciate any ideas for material with best thermal conductivity and least electrical conductivity for this hybrid system.

berkeman

Mentor
Hello! I am a materials engineering BSc student currently writing my bachelor thesis. The topic of my thesis is regarding the PV/T system and the best material choice for the interface between the glass/glass PV module and the heat mat. I would appreciate any ideas for material with best thermal conductivity and least electrical conductivity for this hybrid system.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you mean Layer 5 in the diagram from Wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaic_thermal_hybrid_solar_collector

upload_2019-1-29_11-24-17.png

Attachments

No, material for layer 5 has already been decided. Aluminium backsheet shall be used there. A suitable material in between the PV module and the aluminum backsheet is required which conducts the heat from the PV module to the heat mat. This material should also be an electrical insulator for maximum efficiency of the PV/T system

anorlunda

Mentor
Insights Author
Gold Member
What materials have you looked at?

Tom.G

Science Advisor
The image that @berkeman posted shows EVA as the encapsulant. The full name is Ethylene Vinyl Acetate and it is used as a construction adhesive and, when foamed, as insoles in athletic shoes.

A search of https://www.google.com/search?&q=thermal+conductivity+of+ethylene+vinyl+acetate
shows that adding fillers such as Boron Nitride or Carbon based nanoparticles can increase thermal conductivity by a factor 3 to 20, depending on how much technology and money you wish to add!

Another possibility is to use a filled Epoxy. More expensive than plain EVA but has a substantially higher operating temperature.

Cheers,
Tom

What materials have you looked at?
hexagonal boron nitride, Al2O3 and silicone rubbers. I am currently doing more research to find and eventually order some samples for my experiment

The image that @berkeman posted shows EVA as the encapsulant. The full name is Ethylene Vinyl Acetate and it is used as a construction adhesive and, when foamed, as insoles in athletic shoes.

A search of https://www.google.com/search?&q=thermal+conductivity+of+ethylene+vinyl+acetate
shows that adding fillers such as Boron Nitride or Carbon based nanoparticles can increase thermal conductivity by a factor 3 to 20, depending on how much technology and money you wish to add!

Another possibility is to use a filled Epoxy. More expensive than plain EVA but has a substantially higher operating temperature.

Cheers,
Tom
I appreciate your feedback, Tom. The PV module to be used in my experiment is based on neutral gas i.e. no encapsulant (EVA). I am thinking to go ahead with fillers in a polymer matrix, just want something concrete to go ahead with. This forum has been really helpful, Cheers!