Choose the Best Material for a Glass/Glass PV/T System

In summary,Tom suggests using hexagonal boron nitride, Al2O3, and silicone rubbers as materials for the interface between the PV module and the heat mat.
Ali Haider
Hello! I am a materials engineering BSc student currently writing my bachelor thesis. The topic of my thesis is regarding the PV/T system and the best material choice for the interface between the glass/glass PV module and the heat mat. I would appreciate any ideas for material with best thermal conductivity and least electrical conductivity for this hybrid system.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you checked first with references such as the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics?

I'm sure that there are many online and offline sources that let you scan by material properties.

Ali Haider said:
Hello! I am a materials engineering BSc student currently writing my bachelor thesis. The topic of my thesis is regarding the PV/T system and the best material choice for the interface between the glass/glass PV module and the heat mat. I would appreciate any ideas for material with best thermal conductivity and least electrical conductivity for this hybrid system.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you mean Layer 5 in the diagram from Wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaic_thermal_hybrid_solar_collector

upload_2019-1-29_11-24-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-29_11-24-17.png
    upload_2019-1-29_11-24-17.png
    13 KB · Views: 937
Likes Ali Haider
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Do you mean Layer 5 in the diagram from Wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaic_thermal_hybrid_solar_collector

View attachment 238003
No, material for layer 5 has already been decided. Aluminium backsheet shall be used there. A suitable material in between the PV module and the aluminum backsheet is required which conducts the heat from the PV module to the heat mat. This material should also be an electrical insulator for maximum efficiency of the PV/T system

What materials have you looked at?

The image that @berkeman posted shows EVA as the encapsulant. The full name is Ethylene Vinyl Acetate and it is used as a construction adhesive and, when foamed, as insoles in athletic shoes.

A search of https://www.google.com/search?&q=thermal+conductivity+of+ethylene+vinyl+acetate
shows that adding fillers such as Boron Nitride or Carbon based nanoparticles can increase thermal conductivity by a factor 3 to 20, depending on how much technology and money you wish to add!

Another possibility is to use a filled Epoxy. More expensive than plain EVA but has a substantially higher operating temperature.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Ali Haider
anorlunda said:
What materials have you looked at?
hexagonal boron nitride, Al2O3 and silicone rubbers. I am currently doing more research to find and eventually order some samples for my experiment

Tom.G said:
The image that @berkeman posted shows EVA as the encapsulant. The full name is Ethylene Vinyl Acetate and it is used as a construction adhesive and, when foamed, as insoles in athletic shoes.

A search of https://www.google.com/search?&q=thermal+conductivity+of+ethylene+vinyl+acetate
shows that adding fillers such as Boron Nitride or Carbon based nanoparticles can increase thermal conductivity by a factor 3 to 20, depending on how much technology and money you wish to add!

Another possibility is to use a filled Epoxy. More expensive than plain EVA but has a substantially higher operating temperature.

Cheers,
Tom
I appreciate your feedback, Tom. The PV module to be used in my experiment is based on neutral gas i.e. no encapsulant (EVA). I am thinking to go ahead with fillers in a polymer matrix, just want something concrete to go ahead with. This forum has been really helpful, Cheers!

Likes Tom.G

1. What is the best material for a glass/glass PV/T system?

The best material for a glass/glass PV/T (photovoltaic/thermal) system is a combination of low-iron tempered glass and monocrystalline silicon solar cells. This combination allows for high efficiency in converting sunlight to electricity, as well as durability and resistance to harsh weather conditions.

2. Why is low-iron tempered glass preferred for a PV/T system?

Low-iron tempered glass is preferred for a PV/T system because it has a high transmittance rate, allowing more sunlight to pass through and reach the solar cells. It also has a lower iron content, reducing the risk of discoloration and improving the overall efficiency of the system.

3. Are there any other materials that can be used for a glass/glass PV/T system?

Yes, there are other materials that can be used for a glass/glass PV/T system, such as polycrystalline silicon solar cells and anti-reflective coated glass. However, these materials may not provide the same level of efficiency and durability as low-iron tempered glass and monocrystalline silicon solar cells.

4. How does the choice of material affect the performance of a PV/T system?

The choice of material can greatly affect the performance of a PV/T system. The right combination of materials can result in higher efficiency, better durability, and longer lifespan of the system. On the other hand, using lower quality materials can lead to lower efficiency, shorter lifespan, and increased maintenance costs.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing the best material for a glass/glass PV/T system?

When choosing the best material for a glass/glass PV/T system, factors such as efficiency, durability, cost, and compatibility with other system components should be considered. It is important to also consider the specific climate and weather conditions of the installation site to ensure the chosen materials can withstand them.