Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PVC valve

1. Aug 8, 2004 #1
    I'd like to put a valve (like the ones on tire tubes) that will connect to a bicycle pump onto a PVC tube (on the side, or at the end). Anyone know how I can do this? What fittings will I need?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How strange; I did this once.

The valve assembly should fit nicely in a clean hole made in the end cap for the PVC pipe. Just get a valve from a tire shop and drill the hole to size. I think I used epoxy to seal the joint.

4. Aug 8, 2004 #3
    Don't bother with the epoxy. As long as the hole is not burred it will be fine. I have never seen a valve stem sealed with anything other than a little bit of soap solution when pulling it through the hole in the rim.

5. Aug 8, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, I think you're right. I am thinking that I got some but never needed it.

6. Aug 8, 2004 #5
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand what is holding the valve in place? Is the valve threaded or something? Thanks for the help guys.

7. Aug 8, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was going to ask the same question. I think you'll need the epoxy, after all. Just drill out a 0.030" over clearance hole and stick it in place.

I've used (Emerson & Cuming) Stycast 2850 epoxy to seal between PVC and stainless steel. I'm sure there's cheaper glues that will work just as well.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  8. Aug 8, 2004 #7
    Go buy a valve stem and you will undestand. NO GLUE is required. Just a little soapy water to allow the valve stem to slide in easily.

BTW, a smaller hole is required, not something .030 over.

9. Aug 8, 2004 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Averagesupernova,

Are you perhaps suggesting the drill hole be just right to make a tight fit ?

10. Aug 8, 2004 #9
    Alright, I'll trust you and go ahead without the epoxy. Thanks for the help!

11. Aug 8, 2004 #10
    I have changed MANY tires. So many in fact that I own a tire machine. The valve stem is conical up to a point. Then it suddenly drops off into a groove. This groove is what holds it in the hole and yes the hole should be slightly smaller than the diameter of the groove. You would think then that it is impossible to remove the stem once it is in place. This is not so. It can be pried out again, but it is a major hassle. When you buy the stem, also buy the tool that is used to thread over the threaded part of the stem to pull it through the hole. The tool is a little tee-handle affair. It threads onto the part of the stem that the cap normally threads onto. Just be sure to use lots of 'lube' when installing. Use a good slippery dish washing soap. Don't use a petroleum based product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?