PWM/DC motor torque

• Thread starter billblack
  • Start date
I had posted this is in "Electrical Engineering" but no one has posted any thing so I am posting g my question here as well.

I've done my best to find an answer to no avail. Can anyone offer some insight?
Subject: DC brushed motor with PWM control
If the motor has 10 units of torque @ full rated voltage in the spec sheet, what torque can be expected when operating at full voltage but a reduced duty cycle? Is there some predictable mathematical relationship? I'm hoping for 100% torque, but doubting the possibilities.
I await enlightenment,

Bill Black
waiting for Noel in South Florida

Answers and Replies

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, I guess the torque will go from 0 to 10 units as the duty cycle goes from 0 to 100%

Have you looked at this: Pulse-width_modulation?

Well, I guess the torque will go from 0 to 10 units as the duty cycle goes from 0 to 100%

Have you looked at this: Pulse-width_modulation?

Yes..I have researched this quite a bit past Wikipedia. I'd "guess" the same thing, but I was trying to avoid guessing.
The torque specs on motors are most often given in reference to the voltage applied. If the PWM is supplying, for instance, 10 VDC @ 60% duty cycle, does the motor "see" that as a 6 VDC applied to the motor or as 10VDC applied 600 mSec per Sec? Is there any difference between the two conditions?
Heck...maybe I am just analyzing this to death and @ 60% power means 60% power no matter how you name it.
??
Thanks!