Control Solenoïd Valve Proportionally w/166Hz PWM

• Thread starter Charly Segaert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pwm
In summary: While I am not 100% sure of the type of valve, there are electrically operated valves that are proportional. More voltage gets the valve farther open. Known as proportioning valves. Common on hydraulics nowadays. -If you are using a digital output, then you will need a power amplifier to intensify the signal. This is because a transistor or mosfet will not be able to handle the current.The voltage of the solenoid coil is 24 volts.
Charly Segaert
Hello everyone,

I have to control a solenoïd valve proportionally using a 166Hz PWM signal. The resistance of the coil is 2,5-4 ohm. If i'd be using a pure DC signal I'd have around 8 amps of power. However this is an oscillating signal. Since a coil resists changes in current, the effective current will be higher I guess?

I want to create this signal using a digital output in Labview. The problem is that I can only draw a few milliamps from the output. Is it sufficiënt to intensify the signal using a transistor or mosfet? Or do I need to find a complete printed circuit with filters,...?

Thanks for your answer

Engineering news on Phys.org
Charly Segaert said:
Hello everyone,

I have to control a solenoïd valve proportionally using a 166Hz PWM signal. The resistance of the coil is 2,5-4 ohm. If i'd be using a pure DC signal I'd have around 8 amps of power. However this is an oscillating signal. Since a coil resists changes in current, the effective current will be higher I guess?

I want to create this signal using a digital output in Labview. The problem is that I can only draw a few milliamps from the output. Is it sufficiënt to intensify the signal using a transistor or mosfet? Or do I need to find a complete printed circuit with filters,...?

Thanks for your answer
Usually a solenoid will be ON or OFF. What is tue purpose of the PWM?

And yes, if you want to use LabView to generate the PWM, you will need a power amplifier. What is the solenoid coil voltage? Can you post a link to the datasheet?

berkeman said:
Usually a solenoid will be ON or OFF. What is tue purpose of the PWM?

And yes, if you want to use LabView to generate the PWM, you will need a power amplifier. What is the solenoid coil voltage? Can you post a link to the datasheet?
While I am not 100% sure of the type of valve, there are electrically operated valves that are proportional. More voltage gets the valve farther open. Known as proportioning valves. Common on hydraulics nowadays.
-
As to the original question, you will need some type of driver. I would assume the manufacturer of the valve would offer you something. That is if it is a true proportioning valve.

Likes Charly Segaert and berkeman
The valve works on 24V and has the function to control an amount of flow, so it is indeed proportional.
Sadly I do not have a datasheet of the coil, it's used very often on high pressure pumps of Bosch.

So I need to search for a drive instead of only using a transistor?

Thanks

1. What is a control solenoid valve?

A control solenoid valve is an electromechanical device that is used to control the flow of fluid or air in a system. It consists of a coil of wire, a plunger, and a valve body. When an electrical current is applied to the coil, it creates a magnetic field that moves the plunger and opens or closes the valve.

2. What is a 166Hz PWM?

A 166Hz PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is a type of electrical signal that is used to control the speed or intensity of a device. It works by rapidly switching the power on and off at a frequency of 166 times per second. The width of the on and off cycles can be adjusted to control the output of the device.

3. How does a control solenoid valve work with 166Hz PWM?

A control solenoid valve can be controlled using a 166Hz PWM signal by connecting the PWM output to the valve's coil. The PWM signal will vary the current flowing through the coil, which in turn will vary the strength of the magnetic field and the position of the plunger. This will control the opening and closing of the valve and the flow of fluid or air.

4. What are the advantages of using a control solenoid valve with 166Hz PWM?

Using a control solenoid valve with 166Hz PWM offers several advantages. Firstly, it allows for precise control over the flow of fluid or air, which is useful in applications where accuracy is important. Secondly, it allows for a wide range of flow rates to be achieved by adjusting the PWM signal. Additionally, it is a cost-effective solution compared to other types of flow control systems.

5. What are some common applications of control solenoid valves with 166Hz PWM?

Control solenoid valves with 166Hz PWM are commonly used in various industrial and commercial applications, including hydraulic and pneumatic systems, HVAC systems, and process control systems. They are also used in automotive applications, such as fuel injection systems and transmission control systems. Additionally, they can be found in household appliances, such as washing machines and dishwashers.