Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PWM intensifying

1. Mar 28, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have to control a solenoïd valve proportionally using a 166Hz PWM signal. The resistance of the coil is 2,5-4 ohm. If i'd be using a pure DC signal I'd have around 8 amps of power. However this is an oscillating signal. Since a coil resists changes in current, the effective current will be higher I guess?

I want to create this signal using a digital output in Labview. The problem is that I can only draw a few milliamps from the output. Is it sufficiënt to intensify the signal using a transistor or mosfet? Or do I need to find a complete printed circuit with filters,...?

Thanks for your answer

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Usually a solenoid will be ON or OFF. What is tue purpose of the PWM?

And yes, if you want to use LabView to generate the PWM, you will need a power amplifier. What is the solenoid coil voltage? Can you post a link to the datasheet?

4. Mar 28, 2017 #3

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

While I am not 100% sure of the type of valve, there are electrically operated valves that are proportional. More voltage gets the valve farther open. Known as proportioning valves. Common on hydraulics nowadays.
    -
    As to the original question, you will need some type of driver. I would assume the manufacturer of the valve would offer you something. That is if it is a true proportioning valve.

5. Mar 29, 2017 #4
    The valve works on 24V and has the function to control an amount of flow, so it is indeed proportional.
    Sadly I do not have a datasheet of the coil, it's used very often on high pressure pumps of Bosch.

So I need to search for a drive instead of only using a transistor?

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted