1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pylons in Extreme Temperatures

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Extreme temperatures have been known to cause some electricity supply pylons to collapse. Using your knowledge of physics, comment on why this happens.
    (This question is an 'open-ended' question and is worth three marks. One must explain the possible possible reason(s) for what is described in the question)
    (SQA National 5 Physics Specimen Paper)

2. Relevant equations
    Assuming that 'extreme temperatures' means extremely cold temperatures, p=F/A could be used to show that a build up of ice on the cables connecting the pylons would put pressure on the cables and potentially pull a pylon down.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Explaining why p=F/A could be used gives me one mark, but after that, I'm stumped.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What material are these pylons made of ?

4. Apr 30, 2015 #3
    It doesn't say anything about material, although in my country, they tend to be steel.

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the elasticity of steel dependent on the temperature ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted