Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pyramids the biggest?

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    I'm really amazed to see so many people thinking that Pyramids are the largest constructions of the ancient world.

Jhethawanaramaya in Sri Lanka is bigger than the largest pyrmig in Geesa and was built about 1600(or more I'm not sure) ago. Why dont you people check that out.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

. . . . . . . . . .Height. . . .Diameter. . . . Age
    Jethawanaramaya:. .232ft. . . . .310ft. . . . .1700y
    Giza:. . . . . . . 481ft. . . . .751ft. . . . .4500y

You could store your family Jethawanaramaya inside Cheops and still have room for your Sundays-only ragtop Jethawanaramaya, PLUS one for the wife, and TWO extras with bent axles that you keep for spare parts. AND Cheops is genuine vintage, not just nouveau retro.

Q: Why dont you people check that out?

A: Because everybody knows that worshippers at the Jethawanaramaya don't check their facts.

The Jethawanaramaya have been trying to get an entry in the Guiness Book of Wonders of the World for 20 years, but every time they are invited to fly to GBWW headquarters, they forget to check their tickets and their flight takes off from Sri Lankan Int'l Airport while they are waiting at the subway station.

4. Apr 19, 2005 #3
    Does anyone have any pictures of the pyramid(?) in Sri Lanka? I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like.

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
  6. Apr 19, 2005 #5
    That is a pretty large temple.

7. Apr 19, 2005 #6
    I thought the great wall of China was the largest man-made construction, and the only one visible from space. What qualifies as the 'ancient' world?

8. Apr 19, 2005 #7
    The Wall is notable for it's length, but I think we're talking height and maybe volume here.

Besides it's not true, anyway.

9. Apr 19, 2005 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Here's the scoop on the great wall. "But lots of manmade structures are visible from Earth orbit, including cities, highways and even some of the vehicles that traverse them. The Great Wall of China is visible from Earth orbit, too."

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/great_wall_031017.html

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9
    It's a tie, Evo. :smile:

11. Apr 19, 2005 #10

Evo

You'll find that Snopes says it's not visible from the moon, but says it is visible from space, it's just not the only object visible. :smile:

12. Apr 19, 2005 #11
    Hey, so did yours! Visible, but hard to see. :smile:

"You can see the Great Wall," says astronaut Ed Lu, the science officer of Expedition Seven aboard the International Space Station, which circles the Earth higher than Yang's path. But the Wall is hard to find compared to other objects. Long stretches of its thousands of miles have been covered by sand over the eons.

13. Apr 19, 2005 #12

Evo

Yeah, and I had previously thought it wasn't even visible at all. :redface:

14. Apr 19, 2005 #13
    Huck, the great wall would count as being ancient. Other artifacts from the same time period are.

15. Apr 19, 2005 #14
    I've seen photographs from space with the Great Wall in them. They are pretty amazing.

16. Apr 19, 2005 #15
    Learn something new every day. This is another one for the myth thread I suppose. I would still claim that the great wall has the most volume and length of any man-made structure if you consider its entire length.

17. Apr 19, 2005 #16
    Feel free to do the math. :smile:

18. Apr 19, 2005 #17

19. Apr 20, 2005 #18

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It still doesn't mean it's larger.How about the fact that the egyptians built the Pyramids ~2700 years before the ones in Sri Lanka ?

Fact.Till 1310,the Great Pyramid of Gizeh was the tallest construction man had ever made [1].

Daniel.

----------------------------------------------
    [1]http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=103184

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  20. Apr 20, 2005 #19

this thing looks like one huge tit.

21. Apr 20, 2005 #20
    I was under the impression that the largest antiquity pyramid was Aztec. Maybe that was tallest, not largest in volume.

Goofy sort of pissing contest here going on here. My beautiful and ancient Wonder of the World is bigger that your beautiful and ancient Wonder of the World.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?