1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pyruvate -> glucose

1. May 21, 2003 #1
    pyruvate ---> glucose

ok so my professor gave us the task of synthesizing glucose from pyruvate and i'm stuck somewhere near the middle .

showing all my work so far would clutter this thread quite a bit so i'll simplify.

pyruvate -> oxaloacetate -> phosphoenolpyruvate -> 2-phosphoglycerate -> 3-phosphoglycerate -> 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate -> STUCK HERE!

i see i need to reduce 3-phosphoglyceroylphosphate then do keto-enol tautomerization in order for an aldol reaction to form fructose, but i cant figure out what to reduce it with! anyone know? my book doesn't seem to cover this step . thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2003 #2
  4. May 21, 2003 #3
    not true, glycolosis releases far too much energy to be reversed. however the step i needed was reversable, thanks.
  5. May 21, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And that energy is captured from sunlight by chloroplasts in plants :) The reaction IS reversable although it requires a lot of energy.
  6. May 21, 2003 #5

Come one now guy. Don't try to put controversy into something so simple.

Of course it's true. I've done this experiement myself, man. Not theoretically but experiementally.

7. May 21, 2003 #6
    can you please point me to a site that deals with the exact reverse reaction of glycolosis? and even if it can be reversed it would be a waste of time since gluconeogenesis(the reaction i was working on) is much more energy efficient :wink:.
  8. May 21, 2003 #7
    Not a waste of time if it can have unique results.

9. May 21, 2003 #8
    well see they call the reverse reaction of glycolosis "gluconeogenesis" only because you end with the reverse results of glycolosis. it isn't an exact reverse reaction due to the energy given off and three steps that are simply irreversable.

no biggie, it was just a minor correction :wink:.

7/10 steps are reversable and one of those 7 ended up being the step i was missing, so... thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?