What is the standard free energy change for the decomposition of pyruvic acid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the standard free energy change for the reaction of pyruvic acid into gaseous acetaldehyde and CO2, catalyzed by the enzyme pyruvate decarboxylase. The equation used for this calculation is ΔΔG=nRT ln(P2/P1), with the assumption of ideal gas behavior for CO2. In addition, the professor provided a table of standard free energies of formation for the reactants and products, and the standard free energy change for the reaction at 298 K and 100 atm is -53.39 kJ/mol. The next step is to incorporate the non-ideal gas produced and the mol fractions of each gas to determine the pressures
Ariel Jo

Homework Statement

Consider the reaction of pyruvic acid (CH3COCOOH) into gaseous acetaldehyde (CH3CHO) and gaseous CO2, which is catalyzed an aqueous solution by the enzyme pyruvate decarboxylase. Assume ideal gas behavior only for the CO2.
(a) Calculate ∆298 0 for this reaction.
(b) Calculate ∆ for this reaction at 298 K and 100 atm. State an important assumptions in addition to ideal gas behavior.

Homework Equations

ΔΔG=nRT ln(P2/P1) for part (b)
(So ΔG298K and 100atm=ΔGo+ΔΔG)

The Attempt at a Solution

EDIT: professor provided a table of standard free energies of formation for the reactants and products, I got standard free energy change for the reaction in part (a), it's -53.39kJ/mol
Now I need to do something about the non-ideal gas produced and the mol fractions of each gas to find the pressure before reaction and the pressure after reaction to plug into the equation above

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. I'm not sure what to do though.For part (b), I think I need the total pressure of 100 atm, but I don't know how to calculate that with the mol fractions.

What is pyruvic acid decomposition?

Pyruvic acid decomposition, also known as pyruvate decarboxylation, is a process in which pyruvic acid, a byproduct of glycolysis, is converted into acetyl-CoA and carbon dioxide.

Why is pyruvic acid decomposition important?

Pyruvic acid decomposition plays a crucial role in cellular respiration, the process by which cells produce energy. The conversion of pyruvic acid into acetyl-CoA is a key step in the citric acid cycle, which produces ATP, the main source of energy for cellular functions.

What enzymes are involved in pyruvic acid decomposition?

The conversion of pyruvic acid into acetyl-CoA is catalyzed by the enzyme pyruvate dehydrogenase, which is composed of three subunits: E1, E2, and E3. E1 decarboxylates pyruvic acid, E2 transfers the acetyl group to CoA, and E3 regenerates the oxidized form of E2.

What factors can affect pyruvic acid decomposition?

The rate of pyruvic acid decomposition can be influenced by factors such as temperature, pH, and the availability of cofactors. Higher temperatures and optimal pH levels can increase the rate of decomposition, while the absence of cofactors can slow down the process.

What happens to the products of pyruvic acid decomposition?

The acetyl-CoA produced from pyruvic acid decomposition enters the citric acid cycle, where it is further broken down to produce ATP. The carbon dioxide released is either exhaled by the organism or used in other metabolic processes such as photosynthesis in plants.