Pytels Dynamics 12.25: Plane tracking

In summary, In summary, the plane C is being tracked by radar stations A and B. At the instant shown, the triangle ABC lies in the vertical plane, and the radar readings are θA=30o, θB = 22o, θA(dot) = 0.026rad/s and θΒ(dot) = 0.032rad/s. The altitude y is found from trogonometry, and the speed v and climb angle α of the plane at this instant are found from the equations for y and x.
Alexanddros81

Homework Statement

the plane C is being tracked by radar stations A and B. At the instant shown,
the triangle ABC lies in the vertical plane, and the radar readings are θA=30o,
θB = 22o, θA(dot) = 0.026rad/s and θΒ(dot) = 0.032rad/s. Determine (a) the altitude y; (b) the speed v; and (c) the climb angle α of the plane at this instant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I can find (a) from trogonometry. Any hints for part (b)?

Attachments

• 12_25 Pytel.jpg
    12_25 Pytel.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 611
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd draw a good picture and think long and hard about related rates.

Alexanddros81 said:
Any hints for part (b)?
Solve part a) keeping everything symbolic - do not plug any of the given numbers in.
That will give you an equation for y in terms of the two angles and the distance between the stations.
Get another equation for the x coordinate.
With those two equations, how might you get an equation for velocities?

Alexanddros81 said:

Homework Statement

the plane C is being tracked by radar stations A and B. At the instant shown,
the triangle ABC lies in the vertical plane, and the radar readings are θA=30o,
θB = 22o, θA(dot) = 0.026rad/s and θΒ(dot) = 0.032rad/s. Determine (a) the altitude y; (b) the speed v; and (c) the climb angle α of the plane at this instant

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I can find (a) from trogonometry. Any hints for part (b)?
Posting the picture, rather than the thumbnail makes the problem clearer and may encourage more help,

12_25-pytel-jpg.jpg

haruspex said:
Solve part a) keeping everything symbolic - do not plug any of the given numbers in.
That will give you an equation for y in terms of the two angles and the distance between the stations.
Get another equation for the x coordinate.
With those two equations, how might you get an equation for velocities?

x is the distance from the first station to the second station plus the distance to the point that the vertical line meet the plane? (my english are not that good)

Alexanddros81 said:
x is the distance from the first station to the second station plus the distance to the point that the vertical line meet the plane? (my english are not that good)
You can choose any coordinate system you like. Placing the origin at station A is a good choice.

Yes, if the origin is at A then the x coordinate of the plane is the distance from A to B plus the distance from B to a vertical line from plane to ground.

so I got
##y=\frac {1000} {tanθ_A - tanθ_B}##

and

##x=1000\frac {tanθ_A} {tanθ_A-tanθ_B}##

I guess I deffirentiate to get vx and vy
but I don't know how to proceed since tan is confusing me

Alexanddros81 said:
so I got
##y=\frac {1000} {tanθ_A - tanθ_B}##

and

##x=1000\frac {tanθ_A} {tanθ_A-tanθ_B}##

I guess I deffirentiate to get vx and vy
but I don't know how to proceed since tan is confusing me
It's just a matter of applying the chain rule. What is the derivative wrt time of tan(θ)?

haruspex said:
It's just a matter of applying the chain rule. What is the derivative wrt time of tan(θ)?
since we apply the chain rule it should be:
if ##y=tanθ## then ##\frac {dy} {dt} = \frac {dy} {dθ} \frac {dθ} {dt} = sec^2θ\frac {dθ} {dt} = sec^2θ \dot θ##
Any hint how to proceed with the x and y derivatives?

Alexanddros81 said:
since we apply the chain rule it should be:
if ##y=tanθ## then ##\frac {dy} {dt} = \frac {dy} {dθ} \frac {dθ} {dt} = sec^2θ\frac {dθ} {dt} = sec^2θ \dot θ##
Any hint how to proceed with the x and y derivatives?
In post #7 you have an equation for x as a function of the two angles. So differentiate it.

haruspex said:
In post #7 you have an equation for x as a function of the two angles. So differentiate it.

Attachments

• Pytel_Dynamics020.jpg
    Pytel_Dynamics020.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 531
Looks right.
What about ##\dot y##?

I will proceed finding ##\dot y## later but
for now I want some clarification with the notation.
In Mathematics for Engineers by Croft 2nd edition in pg. 709 the quotient rule is been described.
According to this:
if
##y(x) = \frac {u(x)} {v(x)}##
then

##\frac {dy} {dx} = \frac { v \frac {du} {dx} - u \frac {dv} {dx}} {v^2}##

an example is given

##y=\frac {sinx} {x} = \frac {u} {v}## so ##u=sinx , v=x##
and so
##\frac {du} {dx} = cosx, \frac {dv} {dx} = 1##
applying the quotient rule gives
##\frac {dy} {dx} = \frac { v \frac {du} {dx} - u \frac {dv} {dx}} {v^2}##
##=\frac {xcosx - sinx(1)} {x^2} ##
##=\frac {xcosx-sinx} {x^2}##

According to the above example and in relation to this post can we say:
##x(θ) = \frac {u(θ)} {v(θ)}##
but I guess this is not what we want. We want ##x(t) = \frac {u(t)} {v(t)}## so ##\frac {dy} {dt} = \frac { v \frac {du} {dt} - u \frac {dv} {dt}} {v^2}##
We can say then that u is a function of θ and θ is a function of t or ##u = u(θ) = u(θ(t))## (chain rule)
So the first line of my attached solution of post #11 should be ##x=\frac {u(t)} {v(t)}## and not ##x=\frac {u(θ)} {v(θ)}##

Also I forgot to multiply the solution at post #11 with 1000

Please verify/comment the above

Alexandros

##x=\frac{u(\theta)}{v(\theta)}## is fine. ##\theta## is allowed to be a function of t. ##\dot x=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{u(\theta)}{v(\theta)}= \dot\theta\frac {d}{d\theta}\frac{u(\theta)}{v(\theta)}##.
Alexanddros81 said:
I forgot to multiply the solution at post #11 with 1000
True.

Is the following correct?

##\frac {dx} {dt} = \frac {dx} {dθ} \frac {dθ} {dt} = \dot θ \frac {dx} {dθ}##

and since ##x(θ) = \frac {u(θ)} {v(θ)}## where ##u(θ) = tanθ_A## and ##v(θ) = tanθ_A - tanθ_B##

then ##\frac {dx} {dθ} =1000 \frac {v \frac {du} {dθ} - u \frac {dv} {dθ}} {v^2}##

so ##\frac {du} {dθ} = sec^2 θ_A ## and ##\frac {dv} {dθ} = sec^2 θ_Α - sec^2 θ_B##

so ##\frac {dx} {dθ} =1000 \frac {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)(sec^2 θ_A) - (tanθ_A)(sec^2 θ_Α - sec^2 θ_B)} {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)^2}##
##=1000\frac {tanθ_Asec^2 θ_A - tanθ_Bsec^2 θ_A - tanθ_Asec^2 θ_Α + tanθ_Asec^2 θ_B} {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)^2}##
##=1000\frac {- tanθ_Bsec^2 θ_A + tanθ_Asec^2 θ_B} {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)^2}##
so
##\frac {dx} {dt} = \dot θ 1000\frac {- tanθ_Bsec^2 θ_A + tanθ_Asec^2 θ_B} {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)^2}##

Alexanddros81 said:
Is the following correct?

##\frac {dx} {dt} = \frac {dx} {dθ} \frac {dθ} {dt} = \dot θ \frac {dx} {dθ}##

and since ##x(θ) = \frac {u(θ)} {v(θ)}## where ##u(θ) = tanθ_A## and ##v(θ) = tanθ_A - tanθ_B##

then ##\frac {dx} {dθ} =1000 \frac {v \frac {du} {dθ} - u \frac {dv} {dθ}} {v^2}##

so ##\frac {du} {dθ} = sec^2 θ_A ## and ##\frac {dv} {dθ} = sec^2 θ_Α - sec^2 θ_B##

so ##\frac {dx} {dθ} =1000 \frac {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)(sec^2 θ_A) - (tanθ_A)(sec^2 θ_Α - sec^2 θ_B)} {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)^2}##
##=1000\frac {tanθ_Asec^2 θ_A - tanθ_Bsec^2 θ_A - tanθ_Asec^2 θ_Α + tanθ_Asec^2 θ_B} {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)^2}##
##=1000\frac {- tanθ_Bsec^2 θ_A + tanθ_Asec^2 θ_B} {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)^2}##
so
##\frac {dx} {dt} = \dot θ 1000\frac {- tanθ_Bsec^2 θ_A + tanθ_Asec^2 θ_B} {(tanθ_A - tanθ_B)^2}##
I do not understand the direction you have taken. What is this angle θ? Your attachment in post #11 was correct.

haruspex said:
I do not understand the direction you have taken. What is this angle θ? Your attachment in post #11 was correct.
ok.

for vy look the attachement

Attachments

• Pytel_Dynamics023.jpg
    Pytel_Dynamics023.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 503
Alexanddros81 said:
ok.

for vy look the attachement
You have not applied the chain rule correctly this time. The derivative of 1/v is not ##-(\dot v)^2##.

ok I am totally confused. any hint?
should that be ##\frac {dy} {dt} = 1000\frac {d} {dt} \left(\frac {1} {v}\right) = 1000(-1) (\frac {1} {v^2}) ##

Last edited:
what about this:

##y(v) =1000\frac {1} {v}## and ##v(θ) = tanθ_A-tanθ_B##

##\frac {dy} {dt} = \frac {dy} {dv} \frac {dv} {dt}##

where ##\frac {dy} {dv} = 1000(-1) \frac {1} {v^2}## and ##\frac {dv} {dt} = sec^2θ_A \dot θ_A - sec^2θ_B \dot θ_B##

so

##\frac {dy} {dt}= -1000\frac{sec^2θ_A \dot θ_A - sec^2θ_B \dot θ_B} {(tanθ_A-tanθ_B)^2}##

Alexanddros81 said:
what about this:

##y(v) =1000\frac {1} {v}## and ##v(θ) = tanθ_A-tanθ_B##

##\frac {dy} {dt} = \frac {dy} {dv} \frac {dv} {dt}##

where ##\frac {dy} {dv} = 1000(-1) \frac {1} {v^2}## and ##\frac {dv} {dt} = sec^2θ_A \dot θ_A - sec^2θ_B \dot θ_B##

so

##\frac {dy} {dt}= -1000\frac{sec^2θ_A \dot θ_A - sec^2θ_B \dot θ_B} {(tanθ_A-tanθ_B)^2}##
Yes!

the angle α is given in the attachement. please verify

Attachments

• Pytel_Dynamics024.jpg
    Pytel_Dynamics024.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 467
Anyone to verify angle α?

Alexanddros81 said:
Anyone to verify angle α?
Yes, that looks right.

1. What is Pytels Dynamics 12.25?

Pytels Dynamics 12.25 is a software program used for plane tracking and analysis. It is commonly used by scientists and engineers to study and predict the behavior of aircrafts.

2. How does Pytels Dynamics 12.25 track planes?

This software uses advanced algorithms and mathematical models to track and analyze the movement of planes. It takes in data such as speed, altitude, and direction to accurately predict the trajectory of the aircraft.

3. Can Pytels Dynamics 12.25 be used for all types of planes?

Yes, Pytels Dynamics 12.25 can be used for all types of planes, including commercial airliners, military jets, and private planes. The software is designed to handle a wide range of aircraft specifications and can be customized for specific needs.

4. Is Pytels Dynamics 12.25 accurate?

Yes, Pytels Dynamics 12.25 is known for its high level of accuracy in plane tracking and analysis. The software has been extensively tested and validated by experts in the field of aeronautics.

5. How can Pytels Dynamics 12.25 be beneficial for scientists?

Pytels Dynamics 12.25 is a valuable tool for scientists as it allows them to study the behavior of planes in various conditions. This information can be used to improve aircraft design, safety, and efficiency. It can also be used to analyze and predict the impact of weather on flight patterns.