Is this Pythagorean Theorem proof legitimate and correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof of Pythagoras theorem and the legitimacy and correctness of the proof. It is determined that the proof is invalid due to the use of trigonometric relations that require Pythagoras in their proof. It is suggested that the proof can be derived without Pythagoras by defining the trigonometric functions using their series and proving their properties. This method is not considered pre-calculus. Eventually, it is confirmed that the proof is correct.
mohamadh95
I found this proof of Pythagoras theorem, I need to find if it's "legitimate" and if it's correct. I mean by that: does the trigonometric relations I used need Pythagoras to be proved , or they were found by another method. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
    Untitled_Panorama1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
They are found in much simpler methods, but it looks right.

mohamadh95 said:
I found this proof of Pythagoras theorem, I need to find if it's "legitimate" and if it's correct. I mean by that: does the trigonometric relations I used need Pythagoras to be proved , or they were found by another method. Thank you in advance.

Your proof is invalid: it uses ##\sin(\theta) = \sqrt{1-\cos^2(\theta)},## but this property requires Pythagoras in its proof!

It depends on how you define the trigonometric functions. If you use the definition over their series
[tex]\cos x=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k}{(2k)!} x^{2k}, \quad \sin x=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)!} x^{2k+1},[/tex]
which defines these functions for all [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], you can easily prove that
[tex]\cos' x=-\sin x, \quad \sin' x=\cos x[/tex]
and from this
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} x}[\cos^2 x+\sin^2 x]=0 \; \Rightarrow \cos^2 x+\sin^2 x=\text{const},[/tex]
and from that, because of [itex]\cos 0=1, \quad \sin 0=0[/itex] you get [itex]\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x=1[/itex].
Then you can define the number [itex]\pi/2[/itex] as the smallest positive solution of [itex]\cos(\pi/2)=0[/itex].

In this way you can derive step by step all the properties of sin and cos without using any geometric definitions. Then you can prove the geometrical properties of these functions from the unit circle's standard parametrization
[tex]x=\cos \varphi, \quad y=\sin \varphi, \quad \varphi \in [0,2 \pi).[/tex]
This is, however, obviously not precalculus anymore.

Ray Vickson said:
Your proof is invalid: it uses ##\sin(\theta) = \sqrt{1-\cos^2(\theta)},## but this property requires Pythagoras in its proof!
Well about this equality I saw on Wikipedia that (sin(x))^2=(1-cos(2x))/2 is obtained from the cosine double-angle formula which can be proved without Pythagoras. And that's how I can find this equality without Pythagoras.

vanhees71 said:
It depends on how you define the trigonometric functions. If you use the definition over their series
[tex]\cos x=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k}{(2k)!} x^{2k}, \quad \sin x=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^k}{(2k+1)!} x^{2k+1},[/tex]
which defines these functions for all [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], you can easily prove that
[tex]\cos' x=-\sin x, \quad \sin' x=\cos x[/tex]
and from this
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} x}[\cos^2 x+\sin^2 x]=0 \; \Rightarrow \cos^2 x+\sin^2 x=\text{const},[/tex]
and from that, because of [itex]\cos 0=1, \quad \sin 0=0[/itex] you get [itex]\cos^2 x + \sin^2 x=1[/itex].
Then you can define the number [itex]\pi/2[/itex] as the smallest positive solution of [itex]\cos(\pi/2)=0[/itex].

In this way you can derive step by step all the properties of sin and cos without using any geometric definitions. Then you can prove the geometrical properties of these functions from the unit circle's standard parametrization
[tex]x=\cos \varphi, \quad y=\sin \varphi, \quad \varphi \in [0,2 \pi).[/tex]
This is, however, obviously not precalculus anymore.
Thank you very much, I should have thought of that earlier. Now I can confirm that the proof is right.

mohamadh95 said:
Thank you very much, I should have thought of that earlier. Now I can confirm that the proof is right.

Of course---Rudin does it this way. But that is hardly pre-calculus, as you say.

1. What is Pythagoras's theorem proof?

Pythagoras's theorem is a famous mathematical concept that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. The proof of this theorem is a mathematical demonstration that shows why this relationship holds true.

2. Who is Pythagoras and why is he associated with this theorem?

Pythagoras was an ancient Greek mathematician and philosopher who is credited with discovering and proving the famous Pythagoras's theorem. He is also known for founding the Pythagorean school of thought, which greatly influenced the development of mathematics and philosophy.

3. What is the significance of Pythagoras's theorem in mathematics?

Pythagoras's theorem is an essential concept in mathematics that has numerous applications in fields such as geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It is used to calculate the length of unknown sides in a right triangle, and it also serves as the basis for many other mathematical proofs and theorems.

4. How is Pythagoras's theorem proved?

There are several different ways to prove Pythagoras's theorem, including using geometry, algebra, and calculus. The most well-known proof is the geometric proof, which involves dividing a square into smaller triangles and rearranging them to show that the squares of the sides indeed equal the square of the hypotenuse.

5. Can Pythagoras's theorem be applied to non-right triangles?

No, Pythagoras's theorem only applies to right triangles, which are triangles with one 90-degree angle. For non-right triangles, other formulas such as the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines must be used to calculate the relationships between the sides and angles.