Pythagorean Identity question

• Thread starter AMan24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary: Yes, I would agree that this equation would hold.However, I don't think that a similar equation would hold for ##\sin^2 37 + \cos^2 37##.
AMan24

Homework Statement

sin2x + cos2x = 1

but would sin23x + cos23x = 1?

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm pretty sure sin23x + cos23x can't equal 1 otherwise the identity would probably be written as sin2cx + cos2cx = 1 and I've never seen it written like this.

I was doing a homework problem and i ended up in a situation where, if i could use sin2cx + cos2cx = 1, i'd get my answer. But I am doing it differently than the book, so my way might be wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
When you write [itex] \sin^2(x) + \cos^2(x) = 1[/itex] are there restrictions on the values x can take? For example, could x = 3 * y?

Likes AMan24
no there are no restrictions, so that must mean it does work, or actually, you said x = 3y. I am not sure... there's no restrictions I am aware of

AMan24 said:
no there are no restrictions, so that must mean it does work, or actually, you said x = 3y. I am not sure... there's no restrictions I am aware of

Right. It's true for any value of x.

Likes AMan24
AMan24 said:

Homework Statement

sin2x + cos2x = 1

but would sin23x + cos23x = 1?

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm pretty sure sin23x + cos23x can't equal 1 otherwise the identity would probably be written as sin2cx + cos2cx = 1 and I've never seen it written like this.

I was doing a homework problem and i ended up in a situation where, if i could use sin2cx + cos2cx = 1, i'd get my answer. But I am doing it differently than the book, so my way might be wrong

Take ##x=10##. Would you agree that ##\sin^2 10 + \cos^2 10 = 1?## Do you really think that makes ##\sin^2 30 + \cos^2 30 ## come out different from 1? What about ##\sin^2 37 + \cos^2 37?## That would be ##\sin^2 cx + \cos^2 cx## with ##c = 3.7##.

1. What is the Pythagorean Identity?

The Pythagorean Identity is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the three sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. Who discovered the Pythagorean Identity?

The Pythagorean Identity is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras. However, the concept was known and used by other civilizations such as the Babylonians and Egyptians before Pythagoras.

3. What is the practical application of the Pythagorean Identity?

The Pythagorean Identity is used in many real-world situations, such as in construction and engineering to calculate distances and angles, in navigation and map-making, and in physics to solve problems involving vectors and forces.

4. Can the Pythagorean Identity be used for non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean Identity only applies to right triangles. For non-right triangles, other trigonometric identities and formulas are used to calculate the relationships between sides and angles.

5. How is the Pythagorean Identity related to the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a special case of the Pythagorean Identity, where one of the sides of the triangle is equal to zero. This results in the equation a^2 + b^2 = c^2, which is the well-known formula for finding the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle.