How to Catch and Print Assertion Errors in Python

In summary, the conversation discusses how to handle a traceback error and the use of assertRaises in unit testing. One person suggests using try...except to catch the assertion and print its message, while the other person suggests using assertRaises in the unit test. The second person also mentions the use of a Python reference to learn more about catching the assertion and getting the message string from an AssertionError.
Sunwoo Bae
1581924271419.png

I would like to make output only read:

Traceback (most recent call last):
AssertionError

... without giving the File "<input>", line 1, in <module>

Technology news on Phys.org
1581925677016.png

Why? The line number is there to help you debug your code. If this is to show a message to an end user then you should be using try...except, not just letting the program fail.

Oh its for unit testing? You should use assertRaises in your test instead of testing the crash dump output.

pbuk said:
Oh its for unit testing? You should use assertRaises in your test instead of testing the crash dump output.
can you tell me what assertRaises exactly do and how to use it? I have never heard about it :(

Hmmm, looking again I am not sure you are using a unit test framework. Is this an online tutorial? If so, stick with my first answer: catch the assertion and print its message. You can look up how to catch the failing assertion with try...except and how to get the message string from an AssertionError in a Python reference if you haven't covered them already (have you skipped some of the tutorial?).

What is a Python Assertion Error?

A Python Assertion Error is an error that occurs when an assert statement fails. An assert statement is a statement used to check if a condition is true, and if it is not, the assertion error is raised. This is used to catch and handle unexpected situations in a program.

How do I fix a Python Assertion Error?

To fix a Python Assertion Error, you need to identify the specific assert statement that is causing the error. Then, you can either fix the condition in the assert statement or handle the error using a try-except block. It is important to carefully review the code and understand the reason for the assertion error before making any changes.

Why am I getting a Python Assertion Error?

You may be getting a Python Assertion Error because the condition in the assert statement is evaluating to False. This could be due to a mistake in the code, such as a typo or incorrect variable assignment, or it could be a legitimate error that needs to be handled. It is important to thoroughly check the code and understand the logic behind the assert statement to determine the cause of the error.

Can I disable a Python Assertion Error?

Yes, you can disable a Python Assertion Error by using the '-O' flag when running your code. This will turn off all assertions in the code. However, it is generally not recommended to disable assertion errors as they are useful for catching unexpected situations and debugging code. It is better to properly handle the error or fix the code to prevent the assertion error from occurring.

When should I use a Python Assertion Error?

Python Assertion Errors should be used when you want to check if a certain condition is true and raise an error if it is not. This is useful for debugging and handling unexpected situations in a program. It is important to use assertions carefully and only for conditions that should never be false, as they can impact performance if used excessively.