Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python Beginner

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    Hey all,

I decided I want to learn Python. Why? Cause I can.

But, and I can't find this anywhere, what all do I need to download to start? Obviously I need the core product, but what about IDE's or text editors? I can't find any information as to whether or not i need this, or tips or what.

So can someone kinda step me through this? I know about ActiveState, but I want to choose my own stuff, but no one seems to say what all is needed. It seems like the core product from python.org will be fine, but i dunno.

I have MATLAB experience and use Windows.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume you're running Windows. (If you're running any variant of Unix, Python is probably already installed for you.)

1. For Windows, download the Python Windows installer[/u]. This will install the Python interpreter itself, a bunch of common libraries, and some simple IDEs.

2. Alternatively, you may wish to install
    cygwin on your Windows machine. Cygwin is a POSIX layer that runs above Windows and allows you to run just about any Unix program on your Windows machine. It comes with Python in the default install.

3. You don't really need to use any special text editor, but I prefer TextPad and UltraEdit.

4. For actually learning Python, I recommend O'Reilly's Learning Python and Programming Python. There are also plenty of tutorials on the web, for example at http://python.org.

- Warren
  4. Mar 9, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Mar 27, 2006 #4
    python comes with an inbuilt ide called python. it is pretty good for basic purposes. for advanced features, you might want to try out komodo (ActiveState).
  6. Mar 30, 2006 #5
    For learning all you need is a good text editor.. no need for an IDE at that point.

On windows, I like Notepad++... I am a fan of the basics... I don't usually use IDEs for projects even.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?