• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Python Beginner

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter chillfactor
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I am a novice programmer and have just started programming on Python. When one types a command, the commands are highlighted in a certain color. When I open a new window and run the module, the commands lose their color. it is quite annoying. is their trick to keep the command's color? thanks. i am programming on IDLE (python GUI). What i mean to say is syntax highlighting

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

syntax highlighting has to do with your choice of IDE and its configuration. Because we dont know what you are using as your IDE, i cant answer your question.

Read the help documentaion for your IDE, I use Eclipse and its help documentation is pretty straighforward.

I strongly advise finding another editor to write your code in such as emacs, eclipse, sciTe... most are free downloads and they all feel different to use so it's a bit of trial and error to find one you like.

I prefer using SciTe on my home computer - it keeps all the colours and has options to show lines were your indents are and other useful things! I was using the editor that comes with python too and had loads of problems with it like it not saving over the top of your file when you add more code and so you lose information ...... and it loves it's syntax errors!!

L2E
I agree with s_gunn, SciTE is a great basic text editor. I also always had issues with IDLE freezing and taking 100% of the cpu for no apparent reason.

you might also want to look at drPython if you want some more features.