Recommended Python Books for Beginner Programmers

In summary, for beginner programmers looking to learn Python, there are several highly recommended books available. "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes is a comprehensive guide that covers everything from basic syntax to creating games and data visualization. "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" by Al Sweigart is a practical book that teaches Python through hands-on projects. "Think Python" by Allen Downey is a great book for those with some programming experience who want to learn Python in a more formal way. "Learn Python the Hard Way" by Zed A. Shaw is a popular book that emphasizes practice and repetition for learning. Overall, these books provide a solid foundation for beginners to learn Python and start building their programming skills.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hey all, I think most of you know me and probably this question will sound silly but anyways, I am learning python over a 3 month now and The course in the school is over and there will no other course. I want to learn more and is there any source you can recommend me.

What I know:
1-I know the simple commands like for,while,if
2-I know how to write functionsThis is kind of all I mean in coding I use these , actually that's what is mostly used (I guess). But I want to learn more about the technic of it. For example simple tips or shortcuts or writing more efficient.
Other then that numerical analysis or more about the math stuff of the python

Nearly a month ago someone recommend me Project Euler and I am doing them so far. But I think I need to practice more and try to learn more. Any books/online sources that can you guys can recommend me ?

I know there are lots of books but like for a physics student what you can recommend ?

I ll also ask this question to my professor.

Technology news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
I can't open it
It should work now.

Is this the one?

http://www.fizika.unios.hr/rf/wp-content/uploads/sites/67/2011/02/CPwP.pdf

Personally I wouldn't spend money on books for Python, there's loads of stuff online.

Likes Arman777
Any other resorces not necessary applied to physics, but to general programming with Python?

almarpa said:
Any other resorces not necessary applied to physics, but to general programming with Python?
Yeah sure that would also be great. It doesn't have to be neceserrily on physics

DrClaude said:
A nice, free resource is Computational Physics with Python.

Edit: link fixed.
I really liked it definately will check out.
cobalt124 said:
Is this the one?

http://www.fizika.unios.hr/rf/wp-content/uploads/sites/67/2011/02/CPwP.pdf

Personally I wouldn't spend money on books for Python, there's loads of stuff online.

I liked this one too. I am not sure which one would be better for me tho

I like the Free Books from Allen Downey, available here:

https://greenteapress.com/wp/

in particular you may enjoy Think Python.

I liked Think Bayes when a I read it a little while back. Think Complexity is pretty decent.

- - - -
There's a newish one I haven't checked out called

Modeling and Simulation in Python

"Models of discrete systems, like population growth, first-order systems, like epidemics and thermal systems, and second-order systems, like mechanical systems. For people who have not programmed before."

sounds potentially interesting

Likes Arman777
StoneTemplePython said:
Think Python.
This looks great! Thanks I ll look other one later I guess

I would recommend Learning Python by Mark Lutz. It is a content-rich book if you are interested in programming with Python i.e. not just using the fundamentals.
A good free book in a CS context i.e. presenting Python along with problem solving, algorithms and data structures is http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/pythonds/index.html one.
For Python resources I would recommend Deitel's Python Resource Center.

Likes Arman777
It will be a long summer for me :)
QuantumQuest said:
I would recommend Learning Python by Mark Lutz. It is a content-rich book if you are interested in programming with Python i.e. not just using the fundamentals.
A good free book in a CS context i.e. presenting Python along with problem solving, algorithms and data structures is http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/pythonds/index.html one.
For Python resources I would recommend Deitel's Python Resource Center.
Learning python also seems really nice. I ll definately check I guess I should start with the learning python rather then the think python ?

StoneTemplePython said:
in particular you may enjoy Think Python.
I just downloaded the PDF, and have very briefly scanned parts of it. One section that I spent a bit more time on was the chapter on debugging. I'm surprised he doesn't mention PDB, the Python debugger. It's pretty primitive, but useful nonetheless.

When I was teaching myself Python a couple of years ago, I put together a two-part Insights article on how to use many of the features of the built-in debugger.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/simple-python-debugging-pdb-part-1/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/simple-python-debugging-pdb-part-2/

Mark44 said:
I just downloaded the PDF, and have very briefly scanned parts of it. One section that I spent a bit more time on was the chapter on debugging. I'm surprised he doesn't mention PDB, the Python debugger. It's pretty primitive, but useful nonetheless.

When I was teaching myself Python a couple of years ago, I put together a two-part Insights article on how to use many of the features of the built-in debugger.
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/simple-python-debugging-pdb-part-1/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/simple-python-debugging-pdb-part-2/

Yea, you can get surprisingly far on even more primitive things like print statements, but at some point will need to use the debugger. I kind of think using the debugger is too much machinery for a brand new programmer (as opposed to someone who's just new to the language).

Arman777 said:
...I guess I should start with the learning python rather then the think python ?

Well, I think that this would be a good idea as Learning Python starts from fundamentals about Python, Python interpreter, how to run programs on a machine etc. and goes on in a sufficiently detailed way regarding programming with Python itself. Of course, you may choose starting from another book / resource as there is a whole lot of great books about this language but the good thing about "Learning Python" is that it has a lot of stuff gathered together.

QuantumQuest said:
Well, I think that this would be a good idea as Learning Python starts from fundamentals about Python, Python interpreter, how to run programs on a machine etc. and goes on in a sufficiently detailed way regarding programming with Python itself. Of course, you may choose starting from another book / resource as there is a whole lot of great books about this language but the good thing about "Learning Python" is that it has a lot of stuff gathered together.
I ll try to look at it first starting from tomorrow, we will see but yes in the comments in the amazon they are saying its a dictionary

I start to read learning python until to chapter 4. I think it has unnecessary details for me and it takes too long to express the ideas. Like if statements starts at page 371 ? I ll start to read think python it seems more nice and giving just the core ideas or details. Like Learining python would be good if someone studying a computer engineering but I don't think I would need such detailed description.

Arman777 said:
I start to read learning python until to chapter 4. I think it has unnecessary details for me and it takes too long to express the ideas. Like if statements starts at page 371 ? I ll start to read think python it seems more nice and giving just the core ideas or details. Like Learining python would be good if someone studying a computer engineering but I don't think I would need such detailed description.

As I said in post #15 Learning Python starts from the very fundamentals and builds things up at a relatively slow pace but it has a wealth of knowledge and you can always skip things you know and go to what is unknown / more interesting to you. I did this recommendation because as you have said you are at the beginner level. Think Python is also a good book and if you find that it fits better your learning objectives / style then it is a good choice for sure. Also, you can take a look at A Python Book: Beginning Python, Advanced Python, and Python Exercises. I think that you'll find some useful stuff in it.

Last edited:
Likes Arman777

1. What are some recommended books for learning Python?

Some popular books for learning Python include "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes, "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" by Al Sweigart, and "Python for Data Analysis" by Wes McKinney.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly books for learning Python?

Yes, there are many books specifically designed for beginners learning Python. Some examples include "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz, "A Smarter Way to Learn Python" by Mark Myers, and "Python for Everybody" by Charles Severance.

3. What makes a good book for learning Python?

A good Python book should have clear and concise explanations, practical examples and exercises, and a structured approach to teaching the language. It should also cover a wide range of topics and provide resources for further learning.

4. Are there any books that focus on specific applications of Python?

Yes, there are many books that focus on using Python for specific purposes such as web development, data analysis, machine learning, and game development. Some examples include "Flask Web Development" by Miguel Grinberg, "Python for Data Science For Dummies" by John Paul Mueller, and "Python Game Programming By Example" by Alejandro Rodas de Paz.

5. Can I learn Python from online resources instead of books?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Python such as tutorials, videos, and interactive courses. However, books can be a valuable supplement to online learning as they often offer a more comprehensive and structured approach to learning the language.