Learning Python & C++: Is It Easy?

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Python
In summary: IMO.Thanks for the book pointer,In summary, Python is easy to learn for someone coming from a higher level language, and it is a good tool for prototyping. C++ (or Fortran) is a better language for doing computationally intense tasks, but Python can be used to interface with these programs. Swig is a great tool for wrapping C/C++ code so that it can be used with Python, but it is not the best option for those starting out. Ctypes is a better option for those wanting to use C++ code with Python.
Winzer
I am learning Python right now and it is pretty cool. Just out of curiosity, would it be a easy transition to learn C++ after I master Python?

Technology news on Phys.org
Why would you want to!
Often people coming from a higher level language write better C++ code (using boost and STL) rather than people coming from C/Fortran who write at too low a level.

Boost and STL, never heard of them. I am new to programming:)

Well, I have noticed some really good computational software that requires C++, like open foam for CFD.
I would like to eventually get into these types of programs.

So boost allows me to interface python with c++ programs, is that correct?
So I would be able to use python for open foam?

If you do a lot of intense computations such as CFD, it does not hurt to start programming in C++ which gives you a lot more return for your CPU seconds.
Python and other high level languages make excellent prototyping tools.

If you have an existing CFD (or whatever) library it might be worth looking for a Python wrapper, or making some wrappers using boost::python.
Let C++ (or Fortran) do the heavy lifting an write your own program on top of this in Python - you get a lot better value for your programming hours and a reduction in all-night bug hunts.

For what little it's worth, I've often found Boost::Python to be perhaps the most severely lacking component in the Boost libraries. (The reasons are technical and I won't discuss them here.)

On the other hand, Swig is a great way of wrapping C/C++ code so that it can be used with Python (among many other languages). It's discussed in several places but a really useful introduction to it, as well as to the use of Python more generally in a scientific context, is Langtangen's https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540739157/?tag=pfamazon01-20. (Langtangen's book is wonderful for many reasons but it also does a really good job of illustrating how Python can be used to interface with Fortran and C/C++ code, something that's essential knowledge if you're going to be working with scientific libraries.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the book pointer,
I've noticed a couple of projects switching back to SWIG. When I last used it I remember it generated a very 'c' like interface, I've only used boost:python for a few trial projects.

mgb_phys said:
Thanks for the book pointer,

I really can't recommend it highly enough. It takes a bit of effort, but there's an enormous amount of useful information in there, particularly regarding Numpy and wrapping Fortran or C/C++ code in Python. It's a gem of a book.

shoehorn said:
For what little it's worth, I've often found Boost::Python to be perhaps the most severely lacking component in the Boost libraries. (The reasons are technical and I won't discuss them here.)

On the other hand, Swig is a great way of wrapping C/C++ code so that it can be used with Python (among many other languages). It's discussed in several places but a really useful introduction to it, as well as to the use of Python more generally in a scientific context, is Langtangen's https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540739157/?tag=pfamazon01-20. (Langtangen's book is wonderful for many reasons but it also does a really good job of illustrating how Python can be used to interface with Fortran and C/C++ code, something that's essential knowledge if you're going to be working with scientific libraries.)
I have Langtangen and agree it's excellent. I'd disagree w/ the recommendation of Swig now, especially for those starting out. Ctypes IMO has eclipsed it as the best bet: far easier to use, learn, and debug, comes builtin w/ Python, and for some things out performs Swig substantially. Downside is Ctypes won't handle C++

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is learning Python & C++ difficult for beginners?

Learning any programming language can be challenging, but Python and C++ are often recommended as good languages for beginners due to their user-friendly syntax and extensive online resources available. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn Python & C++.

2. Can I learn both Python & C++ at the same time?

While it is possible to learn both languages simultaneously, it is generally recommended to focus on one at a time. Python and C++ have different syntax and structures, so learning them separately can help prevent confusion and allow for a deeper understanding of each language.

3. How long does it take to learn Python & C++?

The time it takes to learn Python & C++ varies depending on individual learning speed and the amount of time dedicated to studying. With consistent practice and dedication, one can become proficient in both languages in a few months.

4. What are the main differences between Python & C++?

Python is a high-level, interpreted language that is known for its simplicity and readability. It is often used for web development, data analysis, and artificial intelligence. C++ is a low-level, compiled language that is known for its speed and efficiency. It is often used for system and application development.

5. Can I use Python & C++ for the same purposes?

While both languages have their own strengths and purposes, they can be used for similar tasks such as web development, data analysis, and scripting. However, C++ is better suited for low-level tasks and performance-critical applications, while Python is better for high-level tasks and prototyping.