Python Tries to Eat Alligator, Explodes

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MIAMI, Fla. — Alligators have clashed with nonnative pythons before in Everglades National Park. But when a 6-foot gator tangled with a 13-foot python recently, the result wasn't pretty.

The snake apparently tried to swallow the gator whole — and then exploded. Scientists stumbled upon the gory remains last week [continued]
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171358,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Evo

Mentor
Ewwww, I could have done without that before going to bed. :frown:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
Ewwww, I could have done without that before going to bed. :frown:
You're such as girl. :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

Kerrie

Oregonian
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
AWESOME!!!! One less snake in this world!

Hence, everything in moderation; o:)

honestrosewater

wrapt in a willow
Gold Member
There are pythons in the Everglades?! :surprised Oh, I see. People who don't want the snakes as pets anymore just drop them off wherever. Aren't there laws against that? :grumpy:

Evo

Mentor
honestrosewater said:
There are pythons in the Everglades?! :surprised Oh, I see. People who don't want the snakes as pets anymore just drop them off wherever. Aren't there laws against that? :grumpy:
I think we ought to feed the owners to the snakes. :devil:

honestrosewater

wrapt in a willow
Gold Member
Evo said:
I think we ought to feed the owners to the snakes. :devil:
Heh. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. :devil:
The article says that some people let the snakes go because they become afraid of them (Yes, I would be afraid of a 13-foot python too - that's why I DON'T OWN ANY! :rolleyes:). So - yeah - here's the thinking: I bought this snake and now I'm afraid that it will hurt me. So I will just dump it off somewhere where it can hurt other people. Oy.
I wonder if the people who sell exotic animals take any pains to educate their customers. "This is just a baby. If you feed it, it will grow. Introducing non-native plants and animals into an ecosystem can have serious, negative consequences..." Are there any responsible exotic/dangerous-pet owners here? What did you have to do to get the pet? Did the seller tell you anything?

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving