Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python Tutorial

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1

Staff Emeritus

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2
    Seems like a very cool and well written tutorial. I've been thinking of learning Python for quite some time. I've been through two chapters of this book so far, and it's one of the best online tutorials I've seen.

I agree with the authors idea -- from what I can see, teaching Python as a first language seems like a much better idea than teaching C++. Personally, my first programming language I learned in college was Java -- a terrible idea!

The only thing I'm not sure about is where I can find a good Python IDE? I want to test out some of the code I've learned so far. Any suggestions?

4. Feb 24, 2006 #3
  5. Feb 24, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If anyone needs any help with Python, I'm a self-proclaimed 'expert.' :biggrin:

- Warren
  6. Feb 24, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Feb 25, 2006 #6
    a good programming editor in general is:

for windows: PSPad (tis free and sweet)
    for OS X: SubethaEdit (I like it at least)
    For Linux: KATE, gEdit, (if you are more adventuresome, VIM or EMACS)
  8. Aug 21, 2009 #7
    I keep hearing about this Python program ... so I downloaded it and now I am looking for a tutorial. I searched the forum and found this older thread however, the link in posts 1 and 3 is broken. Do any of you know of some good tutorials?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  9. Aug 21, 2009 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Go to python.org.

- Warren
  10. Aug 24, 2009 #9
    IMO, Python is highly recommended as a first language to learn due to its simplicity. I read the tutorial that the OP posted a few years ago when I was learning Python. I managed to make a simple program that calculated a few math problems. I did this after a week of reading the tutorial. Nothing special, but IMO it's an example of how simple it is to just "dive in."

I haven't read much on Python since then, but I just got back into it and I'm going to read the whole tutorial this time and try to get as much information on the language that I can.

The original link is broken, but I have found the author's website and he still has the original book as well as the new-and-improved one online to read. The links are below:

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Pyton (original version)

Think Python: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist (recent updated version)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?