Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Python Python vs. Ruby

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    Hello! BlueberryPi here, and I have got a question for you: is Python better than Ruby?
    banner_python-vs-ruby-e945fd82f8790be32911b2fac479eb91-29b5252b373ac3874eb3091dd2c216d7.png
    Background Info: Python is a strong programming language which allows GUI's to be built without much pain. It built sites like Google, You Tube, Pinterest, and DropBox.
    Ruby is a flexible language which allows you to make behind the scenes magic. It built sites like YellowPages.
    Which one is better? You decide.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Better for what kind of programming?

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3
    Well, in this case, I mean all types. You can specify where you would use python and where you would use ruby.

5. Oct 10, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

You can use python and ruby anywhere. There is no inherent advantage of one over the other except for familiarity.

6. Oct 12, 2015 #5

TheDemx27

Gold Member

7. Oct 12, 2015 #6

jim mcnamara

This is a very ambiguous topic, completely prone to opinion rather than fact. Like 'What is the best sport'.

What you have to decide is the general use of your programming - math & science, database, social media, etc. Languages evolve in contexts, not from an 'I am the best ever possible' paradigm. Next, try to pick a language that does not require math or logic skills you may not have. Haskell for beginners is tough, for example, unless you fully understand closures.

I think @TheDemx27 is on the right track. You should decide on your own. It is not up to us. Unless the fate of this thread is unique it will persist with another 50 posts, all in the vein of 'my language is better than yours'.

8. Oct 12, 2015 #7
    Nobody can say Python sucks! It's great!
    Same with Ruby!
    I just want to know which one is better.

9. Oct 12, 2015 #8

TheDemx27

Gold Member

As a few other people here are saying, which one is better is pretty subjective.

True, not all languages are built equal. However, in the case of python and ruby, there is no definite winner (as far as most people are concerned). You pick one and develop a preference. Different tools for different jobs and all that jazz.

10. Oct 14, 2015 #9
    You should elaborate your question further mate in terms of coding preferences , accesibility yada yada yada.

11. Oct 14, 2015 #10

Mark44

Whether one programming language is "better" (by some measure) than another is pretty much in the eyes of the beholder. IOW, the answer is usually very subjective.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook