1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q and least-upper boundary.

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    Hi guys. I'm apprently stuck on the basics of the analysis. On the proof that Q lacks least upper boundary property to be precise.
    The example I have uses a set A (p in Q | p > 0, p^2 < 2)
    then q is defined as [tex]p - \frac{p^{2} - 2}{p + 2}[/tex] . Then they show that if p is in A then q is in A too and p < q and so on. All very simple.
    What I can't understand is where the expression for q comes from - logically: why p2 - 2 and over p + 2. I see it works, but I need to know why :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hidden in the question: What you have is a sequence that converges monotonically to your desired limit point (square root of 2). When trying to find these things, defined recursively by

xn+1 = f(xn) where f is a continuous function

The key point is to notice that if x is your limit point, then it must be x=f(x). So you just start playing around with expressions that are fixed in the correct place until you find one that works. The equation that you're given was probably found in a similar manner, as opposed to someone deriving it from first principles as a sequence that would work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?