Digital Camera Buyer's Guide: Adding Document Links

• Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
In summary: I suggest you post it in the photo subforum. Thanks for considering!As far as I know Gokul idea is the only one viable (I was about to propose the same approach), I don't think it is possible to link to anchors inside posts.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
A group of us are constructing a "digital camera buyer's guide" sticky, and I am finishing up the formatting. The document is rather long, and I would like to add links for readers to more easily navigate to specific parts of the post. For example, let's say I have a table of contents:

Subject 1
Subject 1
Subject 3

I would like a reader to be able to click on (for example) 'subject 1' and be taken to the body of the document where that section occurs:

Intro: blah blah blah
Subject 1: bunch o' stuff
Subject 2: more trivia.

Also, if a different tag is needed to link to sections on other pages (since the document is rather long), please let me know.

TIA.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your opening post in the thread can be written as nothing more than a "Table of Contents" post, with embedded links to subsequent posts in the thread which deal with the different subjects.

See below, for example, if that's not clear.

Last edited:
Digital Camera Buyer's Guide

[treat this as the OP of the thread]

Table of Contents:

1. Subject 1 - - (post #4)
2. Subject 2 - - (post #5)

Last edited:
Subject 1

Subject 1 deals with blah 1

Subject 2

Subject 2 deals with blah 2

[end of example posts]

You may have to enlist a mentor to help you depending on the edit time frame.

Gokul43201 said:
Your opening post in the thread can be written as nothing more than a "Table of Contents" post, with embedded links to subsequent posts in the thread which deal with the different subjects.

See below, for example, if that's not clear.

Thanks! Does that mean I can't link to "arbitrary" locations within a post, but only to a particular post as a whole?

Kurdt said:
You may have to enlist a mentor to help you depending on the edit time frame.

Yeah, I've been bugging Borek... :)

Andy Resnick said:
Yeah, I've been bugging Borek... :)
I've discussed it with Borek, but he said you were thinking of posting it in the section that has the photo contests, that's ok with me, I can make room for it there, but it's probably better suited for the technology forum.

Evo said:
I've discussed it with Borek, but he said you were thinking of posting it in the section that has the photo contests, that's ok with me, I can make room for it there, but it's probably better suited for the technology forum.

It's entirely up to you all. I suspect the more logical place is in the photo subforum, just because of the reason people go there. I just hope it's useful...

Andy Resnick said:
It's entirely up to you all. I suspect the more logical place is in the photo subforum, just because of the reason people go there. I just hope it's useful...
Borek brought it up after you asked him about it, we think it would be very beneficial. I also am for it being in the photo subforum due to the discussions.

Andy, I will help to organize the posts, as it may take some time to edit everything. Once the thread is set up it can be moved anywhere, so even if one day we decide it will better fit some other forum it is not a problem.

As far as I know Gokul idea is the only one viable (I was about to propose the same approach), I don't think it is possible to link to anchors inside posts.

Edit: did you get my emails?

Last edited:

1. What is a digital camera?

A digital camera is an electronic device that captures and stores digital images, replacing traditional film cameras.

2. What should I consider when buying a digital camera?

When buying a digital camera, you should consider factors such as resolution, lens quality, sensor size, zoom capability, and connectivity options.

3. What are the different types of digital cameras?

There are several types of digital cameras, including point-and-shoot, DSLR, mirrorless, and action cameras. Each type has its own unique features and functions.

4. How do I know which digital camera is right for me?

The right digital camera for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Consider your budget, intended use, and desired features to narrow down your options.

5. Are there any additional resources for researching digital cameras?

Yes, there are many online resources, such as buyer's guides, reviews, and comparison websites, that can provide valuable information and help you make an informed decision when buying a digital camera.