Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Q Factor

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    Hi all.
    I'm currently writing a report on a tuned transistor circuit. I'm supposed to find a Q value for it but I'm a tad overwhelmed. My lecturers splurged out a heap of formula in my direction. I can't make any sense of it.

From what I understand, I should be able to find the Q factor from my maxiumum gain value.

Somewhere along the line impedence comes into it. This is what I'm told:

"From the measurements made determine measured values for the gain at resonance (Go) and the quality (Q) of the circuit.
    Using your value of Q calculate the impedance ZO of the tuned collector circuit at resonance using the relation ZO = Q ?0 L, given that L is 1.12 mH.
    Use your value of the circuit voltage gain at resonance (Go) to calculate the transistor transconductance gm"

It's all very confusing. Can anyone clear it up for me? I think I'm doing some stuff back to front. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted