1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q Factor

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    Hi all.
    I'm currently writing a report on a tuned transistor circuit. I'm supposed to find a Q value for it but I'm a tad overwhelmed. My lecturers splurged out a heap of formula in my direction. I can't make any sense of it.

From what I understand, I should be able to find the Q factor from my maxiumum gain value.

Somewhere along the line impedence comes into it. This is what I'm told:

"From the measurements made determine measured values for the gain at resonance (Go) and the quality (Q) of the circuit.
    Using your value of Q calculate the impedance ZO of the tuned collector circuit at resonance using the relation ZO = Q ?0 L, given that L is 1.12 mH.
    Use your value of the circuit voltage gain at resonance (Go) to calculate the transistor transconductance gm"

It's all very confusing. Can anyone clear it up for me? I think I'm doing some stuff back to front. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?