1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q for Isobaric Processes

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    Just wanted to ask why is it that for isobaric processes, when we wanted to find Q, sometimes we use Q = nCpΔT and sometimes we use Q = nCvΔT + p(Vf - Vi)?

How do we determine which should be used and when?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2
    They are not different things .Both of the above expressions are correct and can be used simultaneously , or separately depending on the situation.

For an isobaric process ΔQ = nCPΔT.

From First law of Thermodynamics ΔQ = ΔU+ΔW .

Now ΔU=nCVΔT applies to all kinds of processes involving an ideal gas.

So ,putting values of ΔQ and ΔU ,we have nCPΔT = nCVΔT + pΔV

To elaborate it further-

Case 1) What is the heat required to raise the temperature of 'n' moles of an ideal monoatomic gas by 'ΔT' .

You can simply use Q = nCPΔT

Case 2) How much heat is supplied to 'n' moles of an ideal monoatomic gas in a chamber fitted with a light piston , when the temperature changes by 'ΔT' and volume changes by ΔV ? Consider the process to be isobaric

Here ,use ΔQ = nCVΔT + pΔV

Case 3) What is the change in the volume of 'n' moles of an ideal monoatomic gas in a chamber fitted with a light piston , when the temperature changes by 'ΔT' ? Consider the process to be isobaric .

Now use nCPΔT = nCVΔT + pΔV

Edit:Removed the word - "insulated" and removed a typo

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    Hi Tanya. You need to "lose" the word insulated from cases 2 and 3. If Q is not equal to zero, the chamber is not insulated. In all three cases, you need to lose the word monoatomic, and in case 1 you need to add the words at "at constant volume". Also, in item 2 there is a typo: replace ΔU with ΔV.

Chet

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4
    Hi Chet...

Yes you are right :redface: .I have edited my post.

Why? These are just examples i have taken using monoatomic ideal gas.

Why ? The heat supplied at constant pressure is nCPΔT

6. Nov 20, 2013 #5
    It might give the impression that the relationship applies only to a monoatomic ideal gas.

Oh, sorry. I misread the Cp as Cv. I think it would be worthwhile adding the words "at constant pressure" to Case 1.

Chet

7. Nov 20, 2013 #6
    Well..these are just random questions/cases I formed .But...you may be correct.

Right.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions :smile: .I very much like reading your posts .They are full of insight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted