Sharing Lab Photos - What's the File Size Limit?

In summary, the conversation is about a user who has acquired a new color camera for their lab and wants to share some images. They are looking for guidelines on image size for forums and mentioned that the photo contest thread has a limit of 650 x 490 pixels. Another user points out that the images posted are too large and suggests a maximum of 800 pixels. The original user thanks them for the advice and plans to post more images in the future.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I finally got a decent color camera for my lab, and would like to share some images here. I can't find any forum guidelines for the images- specifically, what's the allowed filesize?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the photo contest thread, the photo can't be bigger than 650 x 490 (or 490 x 650) pixels. I use that as a general rule for all of PF.

The bigger pic you posted is enormous, I can't see it all unless I scroll. Pretty pix...what are they?

True, this size really deforms the thread a lot. However if you look here, some images are almost 800 pix wide, that seems to be a workable maximum for me.

Thanks- I'm still working out some posting/hosting bugs... I'll post a set to the photomicroscopy thread shortly.

1. What is the purpose of setting a file size limit for sharing lab photos?

The purpose of setting a file size limit for sharing lab photos is to ensure that the photos can be easily shared and accessed by others without taking up too much storage space or causing issues with slow download speeds.

2. What is the typical file size limit for sharing lab photos?

The typical file size limit for sharing lab photos can vary, but it is generally recommended to keep the file size under 10 MB. This allows for easy sharing and downloading, while still maintaining good image quality.

3. Can I compress my lab photos to reduce the file size?

Yes, you can compress your lab photos to reduce the file size. This can be done using photo editing software or online compression tools. However, be sure to not compress the photos too much as it can result in loss of image quality.

4. Is there a specific file type that is best for sharing lab photos?

JPEG is generally the most commonly used file type for sharing lab photos. It offers a good balance between image quality and file size. However, if you need to preserve the highest quality of your photos, you may want to consider using TIFF or RAW file formats.

5. How can I check the file size of my lab photos?

You can check the file size of your lab photos by right-clicking on the photo and selecting "Properties" (for Windows) or "Get Info" (for Mac). This will display the file size in bytes, which you can convert to MB or KB if needed.