1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Q]Is physical quantity depending on coordinate on which we solve problem?

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    Hi.

I have a question whether eigenvalue(corresponding physical quantity) is up to coordinate

we establish to solve certain problem.

For example, I have state function combined by momentum eigen states such as [itex] \Psi = \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}ae^{ikx} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}ae^{-ikx} [/itex]

a is normalization factor of each eigenstate and [itex] \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} [/itex] means

probability each eigenstate is chosen after momentum measurement is the same.

I think expactation value of momentum of that state is 0 because momentum we can get

from each eigenstate is the same with opposite sign and probability is the same, according

to [tex]<a> = \sum p_{i}a_{i}[/tex], [itex] p_{i} [/itex] is probability [itex] a_{i} [/itex] can be obtained.

I attempted to get expectation value with firsthand calculation with [itex] <\Psi|\stackrel{{^}}{p}\Psi >[/itex]

I establish integral range from 0 to a, [0,a] and i get fianl integral form [tex] \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\hbar ka\int_0^{a}2isin(2kx)dx [/itex]

but its calculation is not zero except for case in which integral range is [-a/2,a/2] or
    [itex][-\infty,\infty] [/itex]

i can not accept physical quantity is up to on what coordinate we solve problem.

and i have a very important question, orthogonality [tex] <\varphi_{k} | \varphi_{k^{'}} >=0[/tex] only if integral range is [itex][-\infty,\infty] [/itex] ?

Please remove my confusing.

Thank you for pay attention to my question

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2008 #2
    You can calculate expectation value by [itex] <\Psi|\stackrel{{^}}{p}\Psi >[/itex] only
    if the wavefunction is normalized. In your case the function is not normalized no matter what normalization constant you choose, because [itex] <\Psi|\Psi >[/itex]=infinity.
    So you tried to calculate the momentum of an infinite number of particles. I think that the fact that you got a finite value (even if you would extend the lenght of the interval towards infinity) proves that the momentum per 1 particle is in fact 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?