1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q/M Griffiths 2.28

1. May 28, 2005 #1
    The problem asks for the transmission coefficient for a wave packet with energy approximately E passing through a potential function with dirac delta wells of strength alpha at x = -a and x = +a. To solve the problem I split the region into the three obvious intervals [-inf, -a], [-a, a], and [a, +inf]. For the first two regions I expressed the solutions as (A or C) exp(i k x) + (B or D) exp(-i k x) and for the last as E exp(i k x) where k = sqrt(2 m E)/hbar. I then applied the two contraints at the two boundary conditions to reduce the five unknowns to just one. Finally I did some more algebra to find the trasmission coefficient as the square of (E/A). But the entire process was lengthy and tedious. I was wondering if someone could validate this answer:

[tex] T = \frac{1}{1 + 2 \beta^2[ (1+\beta^2) + (1-\beta^2)\cos 4ka -2\beta \sin4ka ]} [/tex]​

where [tex] \beta = (m \alpha)/(\hbar k) [/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no better checking than the one you can do it yourself by making sure your method & calculations were correct.

I think no one around here will do the calculations at this problem,just to agree or disagree with your answer.

Daniel.

4. May 28, 2005 #3
    your right, sorry. i was hoping someone could recognize this as a special case of a more general problem or simply point out that the answer is unviable. but, i've looked it over more carefully, and i think it is. in any case, recapitulating what i did helps me understand it a little better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?