1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q.M. harmonic oscillator

1. Feb 1, 2004 #1
    Here's the problem:

A one dimensional harmonic oscillator has mass m and frequency w. A time dependent state psi(t) is given at t=0 by:

psi(0)=1/sqrt(2s)*sum(n=N-s,n=N+s) In>
    where In> are the number eigenstates and N>>s>>1.

Calculate <x>. Show it varies sinusoidally; find the frequency and amplitude. Compare the amlitude and frequency to the corresponding values of a classical harmonic oscillator.

Here's how I proceeded:

<x>=(1/2s) (some constants)*sum(n=N-s,n=N+s)*sum(m=N-s,m=N+s) <n I (a+a') I m> Exp[i(Em-En)t/h]

(note a' is "a dagger")

=(1/2s) (some constants)*sum(n=N-s,n=N+s)*sum(m=N-s,m=N+s) {sqrt(m) <n I m-1> + sqrt(m+1) <n I m+1>} Exp[i(En-Em)t/h]

(note <n I m-1>=delta(n,m-1) and <n I m+1>=delta(n,m+1).

=(1/2s) (some constants)*sum(n=N-s,n=N+s) {sqrt(m+1) Exp[-iwt] + sqrt(m) Exp[iwt]}

This is where I get stuck. I don't know if I'm supposed to make some approximation since N>>s>>1, and approximate the term in the {} as sqrt(m) cos (wt), or if I'm just completely wrong from the start. If someone can help, I'd really appriciate it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If N>>s, then all the numbers in the range of the index of summation [N-s,N+s] are approximately equal to N. That is, it is (approximately) as though you only have a single term.

That single term is going to be of the form:

sqrt(N+1)exp(-i&omega;t)+sqrt(N)exp(i&omega;t)

The thing that is screwing this up from being a sinusoid is the fact that the two terms have different coefficients. Now is the time to invoke N>>1. Do that to approximate as follows:

sqrt(N)[exp(-i&omega;t)+exp(i&omega;t)]=2sqrt(N)cos(&omega;t)

4. Feb 4, 2004 #3
    I think you're right. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?