1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q not finitely generated

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    Can someone guide me through the proof (or point me to where I can find the proof) that the group of rational numbers is not finitely generated?
    I know that it helps to break it into steps, the first of which you show that any finitely generated subgroup of Q is contained in a cyclic subgroup (and hence is cyclic), and in the second step you show that Q itself is not cyclic.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2
    I think I've got a proof.

Let [tex]X=\{\frac{a_1}{b_1},\frac{a_2}{b_2},...,\frac{a_n}{b_n}\}\subset \mathbb{Q}[/tex]. Consider [tex]\langle \frac{1}{b_1b_2...b_n}\rangle[/tex]. Then if [tex]x\in \langle X\rangle [/tex], we know [tex]x=\frac{c_1a_1}{b_1}+\frac{c_2a_2}{b_2}+...+\frac{c_na_n}{b_n}[/tex] for some [tex]c_i\in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]. It follows that [tex]x=\frac{c_1b_2b_3...b_na_1+...+b_1b_2...b_{i-1}c_ib_{i+1}...b_na_i+...+b_1b_2...b_{n-1}c_na_n}{b_1...b_n} \in \langle \frac{1}{b_1b_2...b_n}\rangle[/tex].
    (tex not showing up - meant to show containment of x in the cyclic subgroup we're considering)
    Thus any finitely generated subgroup of Q is cyclic.
    Now if Q were cyclic then Q would be isomporphic to Z. If f were such an isomorphism, then certainly f(1) is not 0, so f(n)=nf(1) for all n means that f(1)/2 has no preimage so f certainly cannot be onto. Hence Q is not cyclic and Q is not finitely generated.

I'd still be interested in alternative proofs, if anyone knows any.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  4. Apr 28, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is Q a finitely generated what?

5. Apr 28, 2004 #4
    finitely generated group
    To be honest, I don't know of any other kind of "finitely generated" so I took it for granted that I meant groups.

6. Apr 28, 2004 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is context dependent. Q is a finitely generated field oveer Q, it is finitely generated as a module over its centre for instance. One presumes you mean as an additive group.

7. Apr 28, 2004 #6
    Isn't this the only kind of group I could possibly mean?

8. Apr 29, 2004 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. But best to check. I think your proof is correct, but you don't need to consider Z explicitly

9. Apr 29, 2004 #8

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's an alternative proof:

Let's assume that there is some generating set [tex]\{q_1,q_2...q_n\}[/tex].
    Since the group is non-trivial, we can freely eliminate the identity element from any generating set.
    Now each of the elments in that set can be uniquily represented:
    [tex]q_j=(-1)^{e_0}\prod_{i=1}^\infty \pi(i)^{e_ij}[/tex]
    where [tex]\pi[/tex] is the prime function (i.e. [tex]\pi(1)=2, \pi(2)=3, \pi(3)=5...[/tex]),
    [tex]e_i \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex], [tex]e_0 \in {0,1}[/tex] and only a finite number of the exponents are zero.

Then let [tex]E_j[/tex] be the set of all [tex]i[/tex] such that [tex]e_{ij} \neq 0[/tex]. And let
    [tex]E=E_1 \cup E_2 ... \cup E_n[/tex]. Clearly [tex]E[/tex] is finite since it is a finite union of finite sets. Therefore it has some maximum element [tex]i_{max}[/tex].

Now, if we're consdiering [tex]Q[/tex] as an additive group, then the allegedly generating set cannot generate [tex]\frac{1}{\pi(i_{max}+1)}[/tex] since addition never contributes new negative powers.

If we're considering [tex]Q-\{0\}[/tex] as a multiplicative group, it's easy to see that [tex]\frac{1}{\pi(i_{max}+1)}[/tex] cannot be generated by the set because multiplication, or inversion of two numbers with zero exponents for a prime will never generate non-zero exponents

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?