1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q+ not isomorphic to Q

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    I'm taking a first course in algebra, and in my textbook, there is the following problem:

a) Show that, for every natural # n, there is a subgroup A of Q+ such that |Q+/H| = n.

b) Suppose that B is a proper subgroup of Q. Show that |Q / B| = ∞.

c) Conclude that Q+ ≠ Q.

I did parts a and b just fine, but I'm not sure if I see how to (properly) conclude from them that Q+ ≠ Q.

I'm thinking that if there is to be a bijection from Q+ → Q, then there should be a bijection from Q+ / A → Q / B, but that's not possible since Q+ / A and Q / B should at least have the same order.

So basically if P : Q+ → Q is a bijection, the following are also bijections:
    For g in Q+, h in Q,
    R taking g to gA
    S taking h to hB

So the composition S o P o R-1 should be a bijection from Q+ / A → Q / B, which is (I think) a contradiction, so there should be no such P.

Am I doing this properly or am I missing something more obvious?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Let [itex]f:\mathbb{Q}^+\rightarrow \mathbb{Q}[/itex] be an isomorphism. What can you say about f(A)? (where A is the subgroup with [itex]|\mathbb{Q}^+/A|=3[/itex] or another number).

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    I cannot think of anything helpful. f(A) will be a subgroup of Q? I feel like we should have | Q / f(A) | = n but I don't know how to show this.

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Show that

[tex]\mathbb{Q}^+/A \rightarrow \mathbb{Q}/f(A): x+A\rightarrow f(x)+f(A)[/tex]

is a bijection. So show

1) it is well-defined
    2) it is injective
    3) it is surjective

6. Oct 10, 2011 #5
    Thank you very much for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook