1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q on countour integrals

1. May 20, 2007 #1
    Contour Integral question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to evaluate the following integral over the above contour - also could someone do it for integral (ez cos z) as well?

Thanks in advance

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried the method of deformation, i tried using the form

Integral [F(z) dz] = integral [f(z(t)) . z'(t)]

neither method works - because i get stuck near the end.

my working
    Integral [F(z) dz] = integral [f(z(t)) . z'(t)]

the parametrized form of the contour - i used the deformation principle

yet i doubt this is the method - any help?
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2007 #2
    can someone explain this?

we know that ez sinz is an entire function. i.e. it has no singularities.and the region D is bounded by the simple closed path.
    so by Cauchy integral theorem, we have [​IMG]= 0
    i.e. [​IMG]= 0.
    similarly [​IMG] =0
  4. May 21, 2007 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. May 21, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Cauchy's integral formula says that the integral of an entire function, over a closed contour, is 0. The contour in this problem is not closed.
    It is, however, true that you can replace the given contour by any other contour having the same endpoints. You might use the quarter circle or two lines, from i down the imaginary axis to 0 and then up the real axis to [itex]\pi[/itex].
  6. May 21, 2007 #5
    if the contour isn't closed then in fact it isn't 0 then is it? or does the above still hold? I was thinking it was integrable ....
  7. May 21, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the contour is not closed then the integral is not necessarily 0 but might be. I'm not sure what you mean by "I was thinking it was integrable"- ezsin(z) obviously is integrable! As I said, you can use any contour having the same endpoints- in particular the quarter-circle you mentioned or two line segments. Yet another way to do this is to "ignore" the contour: find an anti-derivative of ezsin(z) and evaluate at i and [itex]\pi[/itex].
  8. May 22, 2007 #7
    thanks i'll do that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?