1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Q on satellite orbits + orbital drift

1. Jul 12, 2008 #1
    Im aware that due to the oblate nature of the Earth, the satellite's line of apside and line of nodes rotate according to the following formulas (where i = angle of inclination of orbit to Earth and K is mean motion per day)

Variance in right ascension of ascending node ([tex]\Omega[/tex]) due to rotation of line of nodes

d[tex]\Omega[/tex]/dt = -Kcos(i)

Variance in argument of perigree ( [tex]\omega[/tex] )due to rotation of line of apsides

d[tex]\omega[/tex]/dt = K(2 - 2.5sin(i)*sin(i) )

New argument of perigee (taking into consideration rotation of line of apsides)

[tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex]o + d[tex]\omega[/tex]/dt(t-to)

where [tex]\omega[/tex]o is argument of perigee at epoch, to is time at epoch

In a textbook example I am reading, the author is trying to visualise the drift of the orbits as a result of just the rotation of the line of apsides (in other words i=90 degrees and the orbit is polar).

He starts of by assuming the situation where the perigee is exactly over the ascending node (in other words [tex]\omega[/tex] = 0 degrees) and d[tex]\omega[/tex]/dt = - K/2. One orbital period (Pa) later, he states that the perigee would appear south of the equator (in other words [tex]\omega[/tex] = -KPa/2.

Mathematically, he is correct, but I cannot seem to visualise how the perigee would appear south of the equator. Would anyone be able to help me out here ?

If I am not clear, could anyone let me know ?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted