Thermodynamics of electromagnetic radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a reference that discusses the thermodynamics of electromagnetic radiation, specifically in regards to assigning thermodynamic quantities to the field itself. The conversation also mentions potential applications and further questions on the topic.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Does anyone know a good reference which discusses the thermodynamics of electromagnetic radiation? Not blackbody radiation, or radiative transfer, but assigning thermodynamic quantities (temperature, entropy, free energy, etc.) to the field itself?

The initial question is simple enough: What's the temperature of a laser beam?

The only decent references I could find are:

Madel & Wolf, "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics" , chapter 13
Essex, Kennedy and Berry,"How Hot is Radiation?", Am. J. Phys 71, 969-978 (2003)

Essex's derivation requires a quantum description of the field- and since photon number is not conserved, it's not clear how applicable their result is. Mandel and Wolf discuss "thermal light", but I couldn't make heads or tails of their results.

I'm thinking about simple things: even blackbody radiation that has passed through a (passive) spectral filter- what's the thermodynamics?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
@Andy Resnick did you gain more insight on this?

Unfortunately, no. I got as far as "Only blackbody radiation can be ascribed a temperature." and no further. I figured someone considered the thermodynamics of radiation with a spectrum that is slightly different than a blackbody spectrum: is that a nonequilibrium system and if so, how could it relax to equilibrium? Can work be extracted from nonequilibrium radiation fields? But I couldn't find anything published.

Maybe someone else has an idea or three...

What is thermodynamics of electromagnetic radiation?

Thermodynamics of electromagnetic radiation is the study of the transfer of heat and energy through electromagnetic waves. It involves understanding the relationship between temperature, energy, and the properties of electromagnetic radiation.

How does electromagnetic radiation interact with matter?

Electromagnetic radiation can interact with matter in three ways: absorption, reflection, and transmission. When electromagnetic waves encounter matter, they can be absorbed, reflected, or pass through depending on the properties of the material.

What is the difference between thermal and non-thermal electromagnetic radiation?

Thermal electromagnetic radiation refers to radiation emitted by a material due to its temperature, while non-thermal radiation is produced by other processes such as chemical reactions or nuclear reactions. Thermal radiation follows the laws of thermodynamics, while non-thermal radiation does not.

How is the thermodynamics of electromagnetic radiation related to the laws of thermodynamics?

The thermodynamics of electromagnetic radiation is directly related to the laws of thermodynamics, particularly the laws of conservation of energy and entropy. These laws govern the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and determine how it interacts with matter.

What are some real-world applications of the thermodynamics of electromagnetic radiation?

The thermodynamics of electromagnetic radiation has numerous practical applications, including in the fields of solar energy, climate science, and materials science. It is also crucial for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in communication systems and in the design of electronics and optical devices.