1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QED book

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
    Despite the fact that QED is so popular, i have a hard time finding a good introductory book about it [ except feynman's of course;-) ]. Do you have any good recomendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2
    I suggest Mark Srednicki's quantum field theory (https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Field-Theory-Srednicki-Mark/dp/0521864496). I am reading it at the moment and its just amazing!! Another excellent book is "quantum field theory in a nutshell", from Zee. I didnt read that one but had a look on it and it sounds great as well!

Srednicky's book is available for free from the author's website so you can have a look yourself before to buy it. Thats what I did actually (http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/qft.html )

It is said that Zee's book insist more on concepts that calculations but I cant confirm since i havent read it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
  5. Jun 10, 2010 #4
    Thank you guys for your answers. I have one more question. I know that qft uses lagrangian formulation but unfortunately i don't have any experience on it. Should i try a book that begins with lagrangian (eg Goldstein) or do i have to get a book that starts with "standard" classical mechanics and then introduces langrangian-hamiltonian? In fact most of the classical mechanics book that i've seen follow the second pattern (finn, morin, kibble, taylor, gregory) so i'm really confused. What is your opinion?

6. Jun 10, 2010 #5
    I'd start with the chapters on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics in an undergraduate text. I don't think a graduate text like Goldstein is what you want for a first pass.

7. Jun 11, 2010 #6
    I think you're right. Which book would you suggest?

8. Jun 11, 2010 #7
  9. Oct 9, 2010 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  10. Oct 25, 2010 #9
    Heeeeeeeeeey!
    No one knows where to find the solutions?
    :((

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook