1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QED propagator

1. Nov 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A. Zee Quantum Field theory in a nutshell, p. 31. There is painfully little explanation on this page.

I'm okay with the action:

[itex]S(A) = \int d^4 x \mathcal{L} = \int d^4 x\{ \frac{1}{2}A_\mu [(\partial^2 +m^2)g^{\mu \nu}-\partial^\mu\partial^\nu]A_\nu + A_\mu J^\mu \}[/itex]

where I'm assuming [itex]\partial^2 = \partial^\mu\partial_\mu[/itex], but how does he jump from that to the Green's function

[itex][(\partial^2+m^2)g^{\mu\nu}-\partial^\mu\partial^\nu]D_{\nu\lambda}(x) = \delta^\mu_\lambda \delta^{(4)}(x)[/itex]?

Where did the Kronecker delta and the subscript \lambda come from??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2
    It happens that the propagator is the inverse of the operator appearing in the quadratic term in the Lagrangian. I haven't seen a proof, but i believe there exists one. Thus, what you simply have in your equation is

Quadratic term * Propagator = 1

the delta and the lambda are there to satisfy this assumption.

4. Nov 20, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

I understand where the equation comes from but I don't understand the presence of the Kronecker delta [itex]\delta^\mu_\lambda[/itex] nor why the green's function is indexed by [itex]\nu,\lambda[/itex].

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  5. Nov 20, 2007 #4
    If we put [itex]\lambda = \mu[/itex] we get

[itex][(\partial^2+m^2)g^{\mu\nu}-\partial^\mu\partial^\nu]D_{\nu\mu}(x) = \delta^{(4)}(x)[/itex]

which makes a little more sense since we're now summing over all indices. Is there any reason for summing over the [itex]\nu[/itex] index as opposed to [itex]\mu[/itex] when [itex]\lambda\neq\mu[/itex].

Further question: fourier transforming gives

[itex][-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}+k^\nu k^\mu]D_{\nu\lambda}(k) = \delta^\mu_\lambda[/itex].

I don't see how to get from this to Eq. (3):

[itex]D_{\nu \lambda}(k)= -\frac{g_{\nu\lambda} + k_\nu k_\lambda /m^2}{k^2-m^2}[/itex].

Am I missing something obvious?

6. Nov 20, 2007 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To find [itex]D_{\nu \lambda}[/itex] from the equation, write the most general possible form, which is [tex] A(k) k_{\nu} k_{\lambda} + B(k) g_{\nu \lambda} [/tex] and solve for A and B.

7. Nov 20, 2007 #6
    *Head explodes*. Is there some way you can justify that [tex]D_{\nu\lambda} = A(k) k_{\nu} k_{\lambda} + B(k) g_{\nu \lambda} [/itex]??

I wish I knew more about Green's functions...

Is it just because there's some theorem which says that the Green's function must be of the same general form as the operator?

8. Nov 20, 2007 #7

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's simply that [tex] D_{\nu \lambda} [/tex] must be a tensor with two indices (a second rank tensor). the only things you have at your disposal to build D from are k and the metric. So that's the the most general thing you can write down, that's all.

9. Nov 20, 2007 #8
    Hey nrqed,

Thanks. That makes things much clearer. I'm still troubled about how we're supposed to find A(k) and B(k), we have

[itex][-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}+k^\nu k^\mu](A(k) k_{\nu} k_{\lambda} + B(k) g_{\nu \lambda}) = \delta^\mu_\lambda[/itex]

But now what? Expanding things out doesn't help much. It seems like we need some conditions on the behaviour of A and B for various k, but we aren't told anything? Where is the extra equation?

10. Nov 20, 2007 #9
    Let [itex]D_{\nu\lambda}(k) = A(k) g_{\nu\lambda} + B(k) k_\nu k_\lambda[/itex].

[itex][-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}+k^\nu k^\mu](A(k) g_{\nu\lambda} + B(k) k_\nu k_\lambda) = \delta^\mu_\lambda[/itex]
    [itex][-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}+k^\nu k^\mu](A(k) g_{\nu\lambda} + B(k) k_\nu k_\lambda) = 1[/itex]
    [itex]-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}g_{\nu\mu}A(k) + k^\mu k^\nu g_{\nu\mu}A(k) -(k^2 -m^2)g^{\mu\nu}k_\nu k_\mu B(k) + k^\mu k^\nu k_\nu k_\mu B(k)=1[/itex]
    [itex]-(k^2-m^2)A(k) + k^2A(k) -(k^2 -m^2)k^2 B(k) + k^4 B(k)=1 \implies[/itex]
    [itex]A(k) = \frac{1}{m^2}- k^2 B(k)\implies[/itex]

[itex]D_{\nu\lambda} = \frac{g_{\nu\lambda}}{m^2} - g_{\nu\lambda}k^\nu k_\nu B(k) + B(k) k_\nu k_\lambda = \frac{g_{\nu\lambda}}{m^2}[/itex]

What am I missing here?

11. Nov 20, 2007 #10

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You are multiplying 2 matrices together, the first with indices [itex]\mu\nu[/itex] and the second with indices [itex]\nu\lambda[/itex], and you are summing over [itex]\nu[/itex]. You should not set [itex]\mu=\lambda[/itex], because you lose information when you do this.

Then, in your last line, you illegally use the index nu twice in the second term; [tex]g_{\nu\lambda}k^\nu k_\nu[/tex] should be [tex]g_{\nu\lambda}k^\rho k_\rho[/tex].

12. Nov 20, 2007 #11
    Second attempt:

Assume [itex]A(k) = -\frac{1}{k^2-m^2}[/itex]. Then

[itex][-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}+k^\nu k^\mu](A(k) g_{\nu\lambda} + B(k) k_\nu k_\lambda) = \delta^\mu_\nu - \frac{k^\mu k_\lambda}{k^2-m^2} + Bk_\nu k_\lambda[-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}+ k^\mu k^\nu][/itex]

[itex][-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}+k^\nu k^\mu](A(k) g_{\nu\lambda} + B(k) k_\nu k_\lambda) = \delta^\mu_\nu - \frac{k^\mu k_\lambda}{k^2-m^2} + B[-(k^2-m^2)k^\mu k_\lambda+ k^2k^\mu k_\lambda][/itex]

[itex][-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}+k^\nu k^\mu](A(k) g_{\nu\lambda} + B(k) k_\nu k_\lambda) = \delta^\mu_\nu - \frac{k^\mu k_\lambda}{k^2-m^2} + B[k^\mu k_\lambda m^2][/itex]

Therefore [itex]B = \frac{1/m^2}{k^2-m^2}[/itex].

But I hate the fact that I needed to assume the form of A(k). Is there are more elegant way to derive this?

13. Nov 20, 2007 #12

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You don't have to assume it.

[tex][-(k^2-m^2)g^{\mu\nu}+k^\mu k^\nu](A g_{\nu\lambda} + B k_\nu k_\lambda)=-(k^2-m^2)(A \delta^\mu{}_\lambda +Bk^\mu k_\lambda)+k^\mu(Ak_\lambda+Bk^2k_\lambda)=-(k^2-m^2)A \delta^\mu{}_\lambda +(A+Bm^2)k^\mu k_\lambda[/tex]

This is supposed to equal [tex]\delta^\mu{}_\lambda[/tex], so we must have [tex]-(k^2-m^2)A =1 [/tex] and [tex]A+Bm^2=0.[/tex]

14. Nov 21, 2007 #13

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There was no reason to replace the [itex] \delta^\mu_\lambda [/itex] by one on the rhs there!
    And then you set lambda = mu but you should not have done that.

See Avodyne's post for the full derivation.

As an aside, it is instructive to do the same calculation for a massless A_\mu. Then you find out that there is no solution A(k) and B(k) satisfying the equation! This is because of gauge invariance; one must add a gauge-fixing term to get a solution. Here, it's not a problem because the massive field case does not have that gauge invariance.

15. Nov 21, 2007 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IF you put [itex] \lambda=\mu [/itex] and sum, then [itex] \delta_{\mu}^{\mu} = 4 [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?