QED: virtual photons -spin conservation?

In summary, quantum electro dynamics is the study of the electromagnetic force with virtual photons. Spin must always be conserved, but it isn't in practice. If spin wants to be conserved there must be created two photons.
Kruger
I'm talking of quantum electro dynamics where we try to explain the electromagnetic "force" with virtual photons. Now an electron can "send" a photon that has more energy then it self (this photon is virtual because it can only exist because of the HUP). But spin must always be conserved. But it isn't. If spin want's to be conserved there must be created two photons?

Physics news on Phys.org
What spin conservation are u talking about...?

Daniel.

spin conservation of the whole system.
Imagine:
no photon is created cause of "field interaction" (electromagnetic force) --> system has spin of 0

a photon is created cause of "field interaction" (two electrons for example act via coloumb force --> system has spin of 1. Now, the two system's have not the same total spin.

An electron has so spin 1/2. So when it emits a photon, the spin addition is
1/2 --> 1/2=1+1/2. The photon and the electron that emitted it are in a spin eigenstate with total spin 1/2.

Incidentally,the total angular momentum is conserved in a Feynman diagram and not the spin.Note that the in and out particles are eigenstates of the free field hamiltonian which commutes with the total angular momentum operator,therefore they are not in a spin eigenstate,but a J eigenstate.Therefore,the spin states are entangled,and that's why we use spin averages and spin sums when computing physical quantites,like diff.cross sections.

Daniel.

Meir Achuz said:
An electron has so spin 1/2. So when it emits a photon, the spin addition is
1/2 --> 1/2=1+1/2. The photon and the electron that emitted it are in a spin eigenstate with total spin 1/2.

Not necessarily.Spin is not conserved.You should also watch out for L (orbital ang.momentum) states and depict them for every particle (if possible).

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Not necessarily.Spin is not conserved.You should also watch out for L (orbital ang.momentum) states and depict them for every particle (if possible).

Daniel.

Very true, also the strong force does not respect 'spin conservation'

Just look at the spin of a proton and realize that is built out of three quarks that each must have s_z = 1/2 or -1/2

Clue is to realize that spin does NOT add linearly, my friends...Just recall Clebsch Gordan...As dexter pointed out, it is L (or should i say J) that needs to be conserved because or dear QM and QFT needs to be invariant under rotations...

marlon

Ok, thanks. I know this angular momentum operator L.
Thanks for your help.

Consider the following:
We have no fermionic particle in the system. A virtual photon is created via the HUP (from vacuum). What's with momentum conservation?

I try to answer a simple question in simple terms.
Bringing in quarks does not help, especially since, for the predominantly S wave bound state of 3 quarks in a proton, spin is conserved.
Cbelbsch-Gordan coefficients in the addition 1/2+1/2+1/2=1/2 are calclulated on the basis of conservtion of spin angular momentum.
There is no difference in the strong-EM-or weak forces in the conservtion of angular momentum. In the absence of orbital, that means spin.
I think Marlon might be using one component of spin to mean "spin".
Quarks having different s_z is required by conservation of spin.

"Consider the following:
We have no fermionic particle in the system. A virtual photon is created via the HUP (from vacuum). What's with momentum conservation?"

You have just proven that no single particle can be "created from the vacuum".
At least (and usually) two must be created to conserve momentum.

You have just proven that no single particle can be "created from the vacuum".

Yes. My textbook says something different. It says that a photon with energy d(E) via the HUP can exist for time d(t) as following:
d(t)d(E)=h/4pi
and with the photon pair it should yield the following:
d(t)d(E)=h/8pi

Is my textbook wrong?

Is the textbook wrong? I think no.

Kruger said:
Yes. My textbook says something different. It says that a photon with energy d(E) via the HUP can exist for time d(t) as following:
d(t)d(E)=h/4pi
and with the photon pair it should yield the following:
d(t)d(E)=h/8pi

Is my textbook wrong?

what probably they mean is this dE represents the uncertainty of one photon's energy. If you have two photons you will have twice the uncertainty on the energy. If dE is doubled, the dt must be half the original value in order to keep on respecting the HUP. But in this case you measure the energy of each photon apart...Normally you should just get one dE for the total pair.But the picture stays the same though

marlon

what's with quantum electrodynamics? The also say that only one virtual photon is created.

One virtual photon can be created if there is already an electron to conserve momentum. One of nothing can be created from the vacuum.

"One of nothing can be created from the vacuum"

That can't be true. Momentum conservation would not be sadisfied. There have to be created a pair of photons.

He didn't say, "one photon can be created from the vacuum," he said, "one of nothing."

English is a tricky language.

There are lot's of reasons why one virtual photon cannot be created from the vacuum. Charge conjugation invariance precludes such a transformation, as a photon has - charge conjugation while the vacuum has + CC. Further, with all the known interactions, a virtual photon is most likely to be created along with a virtual electron-positron pair. These transitions conserve both linear and angular momentum. The standard Feynman diagram for the process has the three particles annihilate each other at the end of the process.

Noway can one photon be created from the vacuum (without some external influence.)
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

There are lot's of reasons why one virtual photon cannot be created from the vacuum.

I would say:

There are lot's of reasons why ONLY one virtual photon cannot be created from the vacuum.

In English, "one" generally means one.

1. What is QED?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles and electromagnetic fields at the quantum level.

2. What are virtual photons?

Virtual photons are particles that are predicted by QED to mediate the electromagnetic force between charged particles. They are considered "virtual" because they cannot be directly observed or detected.

3. How do virtual photons conserve spin?

Virtual photons conserve spin by carrying away any excess angular momentum from interactions between charged particles. This ensures that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant.

4. How does QED explain the behavior of virtual photons?

QED explains the behavior of virtual photons by using Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions. These diagrams show how virtual photons are exchanged between charged particles, resulting in the electromagnetic force.

5. What are the practical applications of QED and virtual photons?

QED has many practical applications, including the development of quantum computers and the creation of new materials. Virtual photons are also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI, as well as in the design of electronic devices such as transistors and lasers.