How does QFT handle particle creation and conversion?

In summary: In QED, the wave function is a function of time, while in QCD, the wave function is a function of position.
ftr
I was reading this thread by stevendaryl
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/second-quantization-vs-many-particle-qm.835472/

I have two questions

1. which QFT picture are those, Schrodinger, path integral or Heisenberg.

2.In QM the creation/annihilation operators raise and lower energies, but they don't create and destroy particles in the strict sense, let alone the particles having different spins, being scalar one time and bispinor another and vector in another. So why it is said that QFT is a generalization of multi particle QM, and how does QFT generate those different particle and converts them one type to another or others.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ftr said:
I was reading this thread by stevendaryl
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/second-quantization-vs-many-particle-qm.835472/

I have two questions

1. which QFT picture are those, Schrodinger, path integral or Heisenberg.

2.In QM the creation/annihilation operators raise and lower energies, but they don't create and destroy particles in the strict sense, let alone the particles having different spins, being scalar one time and bispinor another and vector in another. So why it is said that QFT is a generalization of multi particle QM, and how does QFT generate those different particle and converts them one type to another or others.

As to question number 2, I'm not talking about the raising and lowering operators for the simple harmonic oscillator. I'm talking about a mathematical operation that takes you from a space of [itex]n[/itex] particles to a space of [itex]n+1[/itex] particles. In nonrelativistic quantum mechanics, this operator doesn't correspond to anything physical, but it can be used to formulate many-particle theories in a way that is equivalent to the usual theories.

Thanks for the answer. what about the first question. it looks like the second method is Heisenberg picture , is that correct. what about the first one and in which qft application is used QED or QCD or scattering ...what. Thanks

ftr said:
Thanks for the answer. what about the first question. it looks like the second method is Heisenberg picture , is that correct. what about the first one and in which qft application is used QED or QCD or scattering ...what. Thanks

The approach I described starts with single-particle QM in the Schrodinger representation and develops multi-particle QM in the Heisenberg representation. The big difference is whether you have a differential equation for the wave function or for the field operators.

1. What is QFT and how does it relate to particle creation?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to explain the interactions between particles and fields. In this theory, particles are considered to be excitations of underlying fields. Particle creation refers to the process of particles being created from these underlying fields.

2. How does QFT explain particle creation?

In QFT, particles are described as excitations of quantum fields. These fields are constantly fluctuating, and when they reach a certain energy level, a particle is created. This process is known as particle creation and is described by the interaction between the fields and the particles. The creation of particles is a fundamental aspect of QFT and is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. Can particle creation be observed in experiments?

Yes, particle creation can be observed in experiments such as particle accelerators. In these experiments, high-energy collisions between particles can lead to the creation of new particles. Additionally, the effects of particle creation can also be seen in the behavior of particles in vacuum fluctuations, where particles and antiparticles constantly pop in and out of existence.

4. How does the concept of antiparticles fit into QFT and particle creation?

In QFT, every particle has an associated antiparticle with opposite charge. When a particle is created, an antiparticle with the same mass is also created. These particles and antiparticles can then interact and annihilate each other, releasing energy. This concept is known as particle-antiparticle pair creation and is an important aspect of QFT and particle creation.

5. How does QFT and particle creation relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory that describes the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions. QFT is the mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of these particles at the quantum level. The concept of particle creation is also incorporated into the Standard Model, as it explains the creation of particles and antiparticles in high-energy interactions. Therefore, QFT and particle creation are essential components of the Standard Model of particle physics.