1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT Book - Peskin or Mandl?

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1

I'm planning on studying quantum field theory, but I can't choose which book I should buy. I've heard great opinions of both, that's making my decision so hard

Peskin's Introduction to Quantum Field Theory

Mandl and Shaw's QFT

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Peskin and Schroeder is used as the text for many grad courses in quantum field theory. It's more modern, more comprehensive, more difficult, and thicker than Mandl and Shaw.

Is this for self-study?

What is your background? Mainly physics? Chemistry? Mathematics? Egineeering?

There are some other books that you might want to try.

4. Jan 21, 2006 #3
    Yes, it's for self-study, but my professor is helping me personally (I'm writing on a not yet specified subject a paper)

physics background, quantum mechanics (my most recent read book has been QM by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji

Do you think I can manage Peskin's book?
    As I said, my professor is helping me, but he is not an expert on quantum physics.
  5. Jan 21, 2006 #4
    Get Peskin, it's awesome. I'm reading it by myself, and I've managed so far. I'm on chapter 5, reading 9 and 15/16/17 as well.
  6. Jan 21, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it can help you, I once took part in an online course on Peskin and Schroeder, and I put some material from that time online here:

It contains (my personal) summaries of several chapters, and some resolved exercises. No guarantee of course (although some peers worked them through too, and didn't find clashes).
  7. Jan 21, 2006 #6

We're using Peskin and Shroeder in my QFT course. I guess I like it, but I get most of my material from lecture and the book just serves as a quick review. If you're going to attempt self study guided by a professor, I suggest you get Peskin and then try to model after an actual course (possibly something you find online).
  8. Jan 23, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The treatment of "classical" subjects in general QFT is much better done in Mandl's book. But Peskin's book has the advantage of containing much more info on QCD and related topics. However, for QED only (including one-loop order renormalization), i'd go for Mandl's book.

P.S. Weinberg's first volume of "The Quantum Theory of Fields" is really awesome.
  9. Jan 23, 2006 #8
    Actually I do want to know about QFT and all of the field theories (QED, electroweak, QCD), so I ordered Peskin's (should be arriving tomorrow, can't wait :!!) )

Isn't Weinberg's really tough? that's what i have heard
  10. Jan 24, 2006 #9

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Regarding Weinberg: usually it takes some hardcore mathematics to make sense of some complicated physics. It's not really about the level of rigurosity, but of being correct to yourself and not admit heuristic approaches.

11. Feb 19, 2006 #10
    How about the one by R.Ticciati "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians"
    Cambridge University Press ISBN 7-5062-5095-0/O

I find it hard to read, how does that compare with the others?
  12. Feb 19, 2006 #11

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I took a course years ago using mandl, great book. Another about the same level is by Aitcheson and Hey.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?