Choosing the Right Quantum Field Theory Book: Peskin or Mandl?

In summary: They are a bit easier to read than Peskin and Schroeder, but not as complete.In summary, Peskin's Introduction to Quantum Field Theory is a more modern and comprehensive book compared to Mandl and Shaw's QFT. It covers more difficult topics and is thicker in size. However, Mandl's book is better for classical subjects in general QFT. For self-study, it is recommended to follow a course structure and use Peskin's book as a quick review. Other recommended books include Weinberg's "The Quantum Theory of Fields" and Ticciati's "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians."
Physics news on Phys.org
Peskin and Schroeder is used as the text for many grad courses in quantum field theory. It's more modern, more comprehensive, more difficult, and thicker than Mandl and Shaw.

Is this for self-study?

What is your background? Mainly physics? Chemistry? Mathematics? Egineeering?

There are some other books that you might want to try.

Regards,
George

Yes, it's for self-study, but my professor is helping me personally (I'm writing on a not yet specified subject a paper)

physics background, quantum mechanics (my most recent read book has been QM by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji

Do you think I can manage Peskin's book?
As I said, my professor is helping me, but he is not an expert on quantum physics.

Get Peskin, it's awesome. I'm reading it by myself, and I've managed so far. I'm on chapter 5, reading 9 and 15/16/17 as well.

If it can help you, I once took part in an online course on Peskin and Schroeder, and I put some material from that time online here:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/patrick.vanesch/qftcoursePS/qftcoursemain.html

It contains (my personal) summaries of several chapters, and some resolved exercises. No guarantee of course (although some peers worked them through too, and didn't find clashes).

We're using Peskin and Shroeder in my QFT course. I guess I like it, but I get most of my material from lecture and the book just serves as a quick review. If you're going to attempt self study guided by a professor, I suggest you get Peskin and then try to model after an actual course (possibly something you find online).

The treatment of "classical" subjects in general QFT is much better done in Mandl's book. But Peskin's book has the advantage of containing much more info on QCD and related topics. However, for QED only (including one-loop order renormalization), i'd go for Mandl's book.

Daniel.

P.S. Weinberg's first volume of "The Quantum Theory of Fields" is really awesome.

dextercioby said:
The treatment of "classical" subjects in general QFT is much better done in Mandl's book. But Peskin's book has the advantage of containing much more info on QCD and related topics. However, for QED only (including one-loop order renormalization), i'd go for Mandl's book.
Daniel.
P.S. Weinberg's first volume of "The Quantum Theory of Fields" is really awesome.

Actually I do want to know about QFT and all of the field theories (QED, electroweak, QCD), so I ordered Peskin's (should be arriving tomorrow, can't wait :!) )

Isn't Weinberg's really tough? that's what i have heard

Regarding Weinberg: usually it takes some hardcore mathematics to make sense of some complicated physics. It's not really about the level of rigurosity, but of being correct to yourself and not admit heuristic approaches.

Daniel.

How about the one by R.Ticciati "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians"
Cambridge University Press ISBN 7-5062-5095-0/O

I find it hard to read, how does that compare with the others?

I took a course years ago using mandl, great book. Another about the same level is by Aitcheson and Hey.

1. What is QFT?

QFT, or Quantum Field Theory, is a theoretical framework in physics that combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and fields at a subatomic level. It is used to understand the fundamental interactions between particles and has applications in various fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics.

2. Which book is better for learning QFT - Peskin or Mandl?

Both books, Peskin and Schroeder's "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" and Mandl and Shaw's "Quantum Field Theory", are highly regarded and commonly used in introductory courses on QFT. It ultimately depends on personal preference and learning style. Some may prefer Peskin's more comprehensive approach with more advanced topics, while others may prefer Mandl's more concise and focused approach.

3. Is QFT difficult to learn?

QFT can be a challenging subject to learn, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract theories. It often requires a solid understanding of quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, and special relativity. However, with dedication and practice, it is a fascinating and rewarding field of study.

4. What are the prerequisites for learning QFT?

As mentioned before, a strong understanding of quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, and special relativity is essential for learning QFT. Some familiarity with group theory, tensor calculus, and Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics may also be helpful.

5. How is QFT used in practical applications?

QFT has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of particle physics and cosmology. It is used to study the behavior of particles and fields in high-energy collisions, such as those in particle accelerators. It also helps to understand the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe. QFT also has applications in condensed matter physics, where it is used to describe the behavior of quantum fluids and solids.