1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT books

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    Hello all,

Just wondering if Peskin and Schroeder is a good first time QFT book? If so, what would be a good book to supplement it with?
    Cheers,
    Norm

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2
    QFT books generally take one of two approaches. They either start with path integrals or they derive everything that they possibly can before introducing them. If you have never met a path integral before then the latter approach is usually easier. Peskin and Schroeder take this approach and I would say it is the most understandable book on the market for a first pass at the subject. It also has plenty of exercises, which you really need to get stuck into if you really want to understand the subject.

A random selection of other good books are Ryder (despite the lack of exercises), Kaku and the classic texts by Landau and Lifschitz.

4. Apr 30, 2004 #3

gnl

I agree with slyboy, but I also suggest the excellent textbook by Bailin and Love. Don´t waste your time on Mandl and Shaw. The classic Bjorken and Drell is also a good choice for many parts. I don´t think one should follow one book only, but pick things here and there... Good hunting!

5. Apr 30, 2004 #4

EL

Science Advisor

What is the bad thing with this book?

6. Apr 30, 2004 #5

gnl

I think it over-simplifies things, and in the end of the day you don´t learn much. With Peskin and Schroeder plus Bjorken and Drell and Bailin and Love you certainly don´t need it.

7. Apr 30, 2004 #6

EL

Science Advisor

Ok, thanks. Just started reading it. Will maybe change...

8. Apr 30, 2004 #7

gnl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?