Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QFT books

1. Apr 28, 2004 #1
    Hello all,

Just wondering if Peskin and Schroeder is a good first time QFT book? If so, what would be a good book to supplement it with?
    Cheers,
    Norm

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2004 #2
    QFT books generally take one of two approaches. They either start with path integrals or they derive everything that they possibly can before introducing them. If you have never met a path integral before then the latter approach is usually easier. Peskin and Schroeder take this approach and I would say it is the most understandable book on the market for a first pass at the subject. It also has plenty of exercises, which you really need to get stuck into if you really want to understand the subject.

A random selection of other good books are Ryder (despite the lack of exercises), Kaku and the classic texts by Landau and Lifschitz.

4. Apr 30, 2004 #3

gnl

I agree with slyboy, but I also suggest the excellent textbook by Bailin and Love. Don´t waste your time on Mandl and Shaw. The classic Bjorken and Drell is also a good choice for many parts. I don´t think one should follow one book only, but pick things here and there... Good hunting!

5. Apr 30, 2004 #4

EL

Science Advisor

What is the bad thing with this book?

6. Apr 30, 2004 #5

gnl

I think it over-simplifies things, and in the end of the day you don´t learn much. With Peskin and Schroeder plus Bjorken and Drell and Bailin and Love you certainly don´t need it.

7. Apr 30, 2004 #6

EL

Science Advisor

Ok, thanks. Just started reading it. Will maybe change...

8. Apr 30, 2004 #7

gnl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?