• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

QFT books?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
What is a good to book to start reading about quantum field theory?

I believe the one by Srendnicki is very good for a starter. You can see detailed comments on amazon.

I'm not a physics major, but I've grinded through Srednicki, Zee, and Radovanovic: Solved problem in QFT

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540770135/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I would say those are the best.

The others I tried to study was Ryder, Maggiore, Weinberg, and Peskin. Ryder, and Maggiore was not to my taste. I can really appreciate Weinberg and Peskin, but they are too difficult for starters.

I've heard that Mandel is the way to go too.

nicksauce

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Another one not mentioned, that I like, is Field Quantization by Greiner and Reinhardt.

I like Gauge Theories in Particle Physics by Aitchison and Hey.

I'd also recommend Aitchison & Hey for a first pass. Very good on the basics. I haven't picked up volume 2, though. Only canonical quantization is covered, no path integrals.

The previously mentioned Greiner is also very good on the basics, but because they don't bother with [itex]\phi^4[/itex] theory or other "toy" Lagrangians, they take a long time to get to Feynman diagrams.

I think Zee is very good, but he seems so breezy and deceptively "easy" that he should be supplemented with a book that shows more of the gory details like Srednicki, Brown, Ramond, or Ryder.

Srednicki is very good, but I think his opening chapters are actually kind of confusing for a beginner.

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I, too, recommend Aitchison and Hey for self-study, but only if the expanded two-volume 2003 edition is used (even if only the first volume is studied).

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
If you want take it easy, then start with Zee's book. I would do it.

thanks for the replies

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving